Chapter 12: Everything is All Good

Within five minutes, the Seekers hit the streets.

Take the second turning o the right. Damien's voice echoed in Tora's head. We'll take the alleyway behind the bank and save us forty metres.

The five of them sprinted past shoppers and school children on the road. Some of them gave the teens a curious glance before resuming their daily routines. Sunlight reflected off the windows on the buses. Everyone went about their daily business, totally ignorant of the significance of what was about to happen.

Past the small bungalows that lined the road leading up to the area highlighted by Damien's machine, they arrived at an opening. Cars passed them, pulling into the nearby car park. To the right was a high stone wall with leaves hanging densely over the pedestrian path, and a golf course was beyond that. The air was dense, crackling with nergy. Even without Damien's telepathy, Tora could feel the demonic presence. The veil was thin here.

None of the houses showed any disturbances. The roads showed no abnormalities. She swivelled around, frowning. Her eyes fell on a large white building about a hundred metres away.

"You've got to be kidding." Carlos voiced her thoughts.

"The hospital? But it's broad daylight!" said Tora, aghast.

"Tell me something I don't know," Ross said, tense. Her fists clenched and she spoke through gritted teeth. "This one's going to be messy, Markl."

"We'll have to be quick. Take one floor each after we've cleared the ground floor access areas. Damien, I need you to start turning people away once we've scoured the ground floor."

Damien nodded without a sound, his face pale. Tora felt a pang of sympathy. He was so little, with his fluffy blonde hair and anxious eyes, and had already gone through so much. He barely came up to her shoulder. With such a sweet, genuine face, how could anyone bear to kill him?

"Tora, can you cast a forcefield at the entrances in case the demons escape our pursuit?"

"I can try."

Tora braced herself for a snub from Ross about her poor telekinetic control, but the lieutenant was too busy grinding her teeth and formulating the next plans to notice.

"Carlos, go scout ahead. Report back to me once you've assessed and secured the perimeters."

"Right-o." Carlos shimmered out of sight. The nearby bushes rustled as he headed away.

Tora followed suit as the others made their way to the entrance, her heart pounding. The veil in the main city had always been fairly stable, and the breaks tend to occur most frequently at night. This mission was bad on so many levels. She swallowed.

Markl gestured and they spaced out once they entered the revolving doors. To their left was an open café area with a coffee bar, beyond which was a corridor leading to the clinic building. To the right, steps and lifts led up to the wards. The air was thick with the scent of demons, but none of the humans appeared to notice.

Tora flexed her fingers and then crackled her knuckles, her shoulders squared. Damien pressed his temple with two fingers, squeezing his eyes shut. She felt his probing senses wafting past her.

Nothing looked out of place. It wasn't visiting hour yet, so the place was relatively quiet. Patients mostly headed to the clinic building, accompanied by family members. A few nurses and students sat at the café, chatting over steaming cups of coffees. People moved in and out of the hospital convenience store.

A wind breezed by.

"Clinic building's clear and this floor's clear too," said Carlos from somewhere to her right.