Chapter 5: Deep Sh*t

"Carlos!"

Tora made to clamour to her feet, but her legs wouldn't move. They dragged down like dead weights and she found herself flopping onto the rocks again. The knife-like pain still seared up and down her spine and sliced past her ribs. Cussing under her breath, she watched Carlos with watery eyes – not that there was anything left she could see.

"Ross!" she yelled. But no, the lieutenant was halfway across the park. The redhead turned, half-carrying and half-dragging Markl. Tora knew she had no time to return, even if she had super speed. "Damien!"

Not right now, Tora! came his little voice.

Carlos is in deep sh--!

The demons are about to break through. I can barely seal it – I think there are three that've gone through already.

Dammit! Tora thumped the ground and grunted as the action sent a bolt of pain down her broken spine. The bones were beginning to stitch together, at snail speed. The last of Carlos disappeared beneath the squelching ugliness. He was struggling, but it was of little use. He had little breath left to shout for help now. Clamouring out of the powerful suction of the squid, he gave the fleshy creature consecutive punches. His fists sunk into the softness, leaving nothing but an indent. The monster was unaffected. Death was evident in its eyes. To the demon, Carlos was nothing but a prey on its seabed, a shrimp waiting to be eaten, a tasty morsel that was giving a pointless fight.

Slime covered the boy all over, a greasy green-tinged viscosity that made all his escape attempts slippery and futile. Gasping, he made a last desperate lunge at the bench, grappling it with the tips of his fingers.

It slipped out of his slimy grasp.

Tora mentally scraped her mind for something, anything. The desperation was suffocating.

She could see the terror in his eyes even from afar.

Carlos would soon be dead, and it was all her fault.

Was that the extent of her telekinesis? That was it?

She was useless.

Totally useless.

A last attempt to push herself up resulted in her collapsing onto her face. As stars exploded in her eyes, her mind pushed with everything she had at the demon. She clawed desperately at her empty brain. Her scream reverberated through her body, rattling her bones and shearing nerves. Something. Anything. Please!

Something glimmered in the back of her mind. A torrent of liquid gold gushed from the corner of her darkness, illuminating everything in the back of her eyes. It splashed against the walls of her brain, throwing glittering light onto the vaults, seeping through her nerves and sending a delightful shiver through her body. Power surged through her soul.

When she opened her eyes, she knew what to do. She reached out a hand. The squid halted in its path, alarm replacing the intent to kill. It was effortless. The squid almost floated off the ground, leaving a white-faced Carlos smothered in mucus. It thrashed its tentacles, but each hit bounced off an invisible barrier that was closing in on it.

Tora watched, her mind calm as the lake around her. The demon was lighter than a feather; its struggles had zero effect upon her. The golden liquid swirled around in her mind, cooling where it swept against the walls, exhilarating.

She was viewing the whole sequence almost like a film. The squid turned black and then pink, and then black again. Her hand stretched out, fingers pointed straight at the creature, trembling.