Chapter 41: Broken Waiting Area

"There's Ross!"

Damien followed the direction of Carlos's finger. Sure enough, sitting one of the remaining standing escalators was the lieutenant, clutching her chest and wheezing. From the pains she was experiencing, Damien guessed she'd suffered a collapsed lung or something.

"Wait!" He grabbed Carlos and yanked him back into their hiding spot again, by the café. The service counter had proved to be a relatively stable and safe area to huddle in whilst the monsters clashed, screeching and screaming. There were so many forms of demons he'd never seen before darting and tearing at each other he'd soon lost track of which was Tora and which was the Shifter.

Judging by their identical ability to become almost any demon and to eat the shadow demons, it seemed Ross was more than right. Tora was a Shifter and she was one of them.

But why on earth was she fighting against him if he was her ally?

He could feel Markl stirring, too. He had to get the team together.

"God, it's like world war three here," said Carlos in awe. The two Shifters had turned into dragons and clashed halfway in the air, their massive wings beating furiously. Debris was tossed around, making Damien squint. He had to duck several times to avoid larger bits of stones soaring towards his head. "If Tora had told us about this, fighting would have been so much more fun."

A figure darted behind the flames. His broad body was unmistakable.

"Markl."

"Where?"

Damien pointed. His back pressed against the side of the lift, Markl took a tentative look at the skies and dived out of the way. One of the dragons crashed onto where he stood moments ago; the metal doors caved in and the glass sides shattered. Markl sprinted across to the solo ticket machines before darting to where Ross sat. He squatted in the shadows.

"I still can't imagine Markl being so butt-naked."

Markl caught Damien's eyes and gestured. Damien nodded and tugged at Carlos.

"Come on!"

They jumped behind the fallen pile of rubble that was the bridge stretching from one end of the station to the other. Peeping round and ensuring both the demons were occupied, they discreetly made their way to Markl and Ross. The station no longer looked part of human civilisation. It strongly reminded Damien of one of his favourite post-apocalyptic films, where humans fought and killed each other for survival and small communities grew bigger only to be ruined by greed.

Except none of those films featured destructive fire-breathing dragons.

Carlos peered outside. Ross sat up, her breathing gradually slowing. She didn't look particularly injured, but Damien knew the psychological trauma by those shadow creatures – that Tora ate – hurt much deeper. She brushed her loosened red hair back with a trembling hand before following Carlos's gaze. Her jaw dropped open.

"What the hell's happening here?"

"Demons," said Markl in a tight voice. Ross made no comment of his nudity. He rubbed his head, a dark look on his face. Damien noticed a mark on his right shoulder for the first time. It looked similar to the medical logo that sometimes featured on ambulances in television series, with two wings and a pair of tails that intertwined, except those tails were very short on Markl.

"Well, one demon and Tora," said Carlos.

Ross looked like she might faint again.

"What?!"

"Yeah, turns out you were right." Carlos's carefree tone made Damien wonder if he actually appreciated the gravity of the situation. "She's a – what did you call it, Markl? A Shifter. She's just turned into a bunch of demons and she's beating the hell out of that blonde guy you saw on the roof. Seems like she's got this under control."