Chapter 48: Hellfire Angels

The bank was steeper than Carlos had thought.

"Crossing the ice on what was previously a running river is probably the stupidest idea I've heard yet."

At least some fire was returning to Ross after her wilting episode. Carlos wasn't sure if that was a good thing.

"It's the quickest way. I mean, nobody comes by this part of town—"

"Being seen by passers-by is hardly on my list of problems right now."

"The path hasn't changed much, see? You can see it going under all those office towers."

"Don't you ever wonder if there's a reason this part of the city isn't frequented? That there are so many 'Warning: Keep out' signs along the way?"

He shrugged, his foot disappearing through a particularly deep hidden hole. He plucked it out again and stomped forward.

"It's not like anyone's going to arrest us, like you said."

"I'm more thinking about our safety, genius. A more covert path might be safer."

"But this is the quickest way, trust me."

"If only."

Carlos wasn't sure if he was relieved at being the brunt of Ross's sharp tongue again. They fell silent, concentrating on making their way along the frozen river, their feet slipping with every other step and snow disguising ruts all the way.

It was almost pretty, in a way. The leaves might be frozen, but they resembled flakes of crystals. Delicate powdery snow danced to the ground when he brushed past the bushes. His ears ached from the cold, but the silence and peace reminded him of awaking from a deep, comfortable sleep. Except his feet were frozen and his stomach painfully empty. When the wind blew, it pierced him to the core before exiting the other side, leaving him breathless and shivery.

Okay, not so much like deep sleep after all.

The corridor of some fancy managerial building ran as a bridge over the top of their heads. The windows were tinted and frosted over, almost like the headquarters of some elusive governmental branch studying alien life existence, or something. Not a shadow moved inside. He figured as much. Considering all the humans had vanished off the face of the earth, seeing movement now would not end well for either of them.

"You know..."

Ross marched on ahead, not waiting for him to elaborate. He hobbled after her, trying to ignore the burning sensation in his toes.

"It'd really suck right now if we bump into demons."

"I don't know what I'd do without all your fancy deductive skills, Sherlock."

The snow thinned, revealing the smooth ice covering the surface of the river. More fancy bridges sprouted overhead.

"But seriously, though," said Carlos, panting as he caught up. Ross stood still.

"Shut up, Carlos."

"Seriously! People can hear my footsteps from a mile away—"

"I said shut the hell up!"

Carlos snapped his jaw shut, offended. It was then he heard it. A subtle buzz in the background, like the static from a radio. It was impossible to pinpoint; the sound was everywhere. A shiver ran up his spine, and it wasn't due to the cold. Ross stood stock still like a hunting animal catching the scent of prey. Carlos tried to make himself helpful. He ran up to the bank, sliding back every step or so, and clung onto the nearest tree. His fingers seized at the temperature.