Chapter 56: But Not Human

"Cimerus."

Abaddeon's single utterance stilled the air. He shifted back to his Spectre form. Even though his deathly pale face was devoid of any features, the urgency radiated from his long, lithe body in waves.

"Humans are the next sacrifice for the Artefact."

"No," croaked Tora, her stomach doing a sickening somersault. Even Cimerus's smile faded.

"The sly bastards." He rose to his feet, golden eyes glowing like embers. "I should have seen that. It was obvious."

"We've lost the war, then." The words tasted sour on Tora's tongue. Her stomach plummeted, bottomless. "Markl let the Frostites through. He's already done the sacrifice he needs."

She didn't understand why Cimerus was grinning again.

"If he gets hold of the Artefact now—"

"Not quite, sister. Do not panic."

"How?" She stared. "All the humans are dead. You cannot be telling me one survived the Frostite winter."

"Indeed, Cimerus." Abaddeon tilted his head, quizzical. "We are still alive for now, but that is only a matter of time."

"One has survived."

Cimerus's nonchalant expression irritated Tora. She followed his gaze.

"Me?!" said Carlos, bewildered. "But I'm not human!"

"Ah." Abaddeon's air cleared. "Of course."

"You are but half, but that is more than enough."

Carlos's jaw dropped open. Tora's dropped, too.

"A Halfling? That's—"

"—Not heard of before, yes. But there's no denying the human in his blood, right, Abaddeon?"

Abaddeon inclined his head in silence.

"You're telling me that my ma had a fling with a—a—"

"A Thuriel, yes."

"A what?!"

"I didn't think it was Piricca's intention to save this one." Cimerus studied Carlos with renewed interest. "But she may just have unwittingly saved us all."

"Did I, now?" came a playful voice. Piricca wore her black-haired appearance today and clutched a bloodied toy bear to her chest. She skipped into the conference room and dropped into her seat. Carlos instinctively shied away from her. "Aww, little Thuriel is frightened of me."

"Little half-Thuriel," said Cimerus.

"Really?" Piricca eyed Carlos like a child looking at a new toy. Carlos squeaked. "And now he's the last human."

"Our survival hinges on this life?" Abaddeon sounded disgusted.

Tora couldn't help but sigh in relief. At least Carlso's life was saved – for now. If the Sentinels got hold of him, all would be over. The Shifters finally had an incentive to keep her friend safe. As long as his human blood flows, no other humans' blood could activate the Artefact.

"What is the situation, Abaddeon?"

Tora instinctively moved in front of Carlos. Cimerus cocked an eyebrow at her. Abaddeon relayed his findings, including the Sentinels' current numbers.

"They are getting arrogant, aren't they?"

"We should practise vigilance, Cimerus," said Abaddeon. "Almost four blue moons have passed. Their use of Lyre weaponry will be greater than our last encounter. Do not underestimate them."

"I have no plans to." A dangerous look grew on Cimerus's dark face. "I plan to annihilate them, until not even a particle of them remains. And I will sacrifice their species to the Artefact myself."

Tora's heart thumped. So it had come to this. Revenge for the humans and revenge for Damien. At last.

"When do we move?" she said.

"Ooh, Lilitha is getting into this," said Piricca, clapping her hands together. "I shall offer you the first kill, in honour of your return."

"I don't care for the Sentinels," said Tora. "I want Markl. You can do whatever you wish with the rest."

Piricca's shoulders sagged. She pouted.

"I suspect your old friend would be with one of the leaders near the Artefact. I cannot promise we can reach there easily – or quickly."

"Oh, we will, Cimerus." Tora crackled her knuckles, her voice dangerous. "We will make Markl pay."

"I love this you, Lilitha," said Piricca.

"We're going straight for Markl?" Carlos said, blanching.

"Not you," Tora and Cimerus said at the same time.

"I can't leave you like this, Tor!"

"Such bravery," said Pirricca, mocking. "Rest assured, Halfling, we can protect ourselves from the likes of Sentinels."

"Yeah, but who'll protect Tora from you lot?"

There was a short silence.

"And why would she need such protection?" said Cimerus slowly. Tora glanced at him, curious, and was surprised to the question addressed at Abaddeon. His blank face gave nothing away.

"Your little life affects the survival of Shifters, Halfling." Piricca put her hands on her hips. "You are staying here."

"I'll go with her."

Everyone turned to the doorway.

"Ross!" Carlos said, relieved. "Thank God! I thought they'd eaten her!"

"Are you sure?" Piricca circled Ross, her eyes filled with fascination. "Your kind do not take sides. Every time one does, they eventually go mad and kills herself."

"Stop with this 'my kind' talk," she shot back with a glare. Piricca actually took a step back. "We are Seekers. That's the only kind we are."

"Whatever that is, this—" Cimerus pointed to Carlos. "—is not leaving this realm. Not whilst one Sentinel still walks."

Tora and Ross raised no objections.

"Hey!"

"The army is ready." Azyazel steppedinto the room, illuminating the corners with this flaming hair. His lips twitched at the sight of Ross and Carlos. His slit-pupil eyes darted to Cimerus.

"We await your orders."

"I didn't give any orders," said Cimerus. "That lies with Lilitha."

With great difficulty, Azyazel turned to Tora.

"Your orders... my queen?"

Tora squared her shoulders, taking in great satisfaction in every word.

"Wipe them off the face of the earth."

Remember to vote!