Chapter 42: Too Fascinating to Kill

Pebbles pelted at them from across the station. Tora turned to the entrance of the train station as the steady pattering of footsteps reached their ears. There, fifty metres away, were humans. Her stomach dropped. They found them. Clad in bulletproof vests and bearing arms, the humans stood abreast in dark uniforms, helmets covering any expressions they might have had, including horror or surprise at the two large dragons at the other end of the station. Blinding beams of light shone on them, encircling the Seekers and Tora in orbs of white.

She supposed the ruckus from all the fights eventually reached human ears.

She screeched and sent a jet of fire skywards. It licked the underside of the remaining panes of glass. With a series of tinkling, a heavy shower of glass shards rained on the humans. They yelled, covering their heads.

Noisy stamping from her right informed her that the other entrance was also being surrounded.

"Put your hands in the air!" shouted one of the humans with a megaphone. His voice echoed around the decrepit train station. "Wh-whatever freak of nature you are - we warn you!"

She could have laughed. If Draconae could laugh. This was hilarious. As if gods would bow to ants and their toys.

"Plastic bullets," Damien muttered, his face peaky. "They want to take us in."

"Of course they would," Ross said, scowling. "They found new toys."

"What are you doing?"

Markl flung his arm up at Tora, who tensed, hissing.

"There's a monster right here and you're not going to kill her? There are human lives at stake here!"

"Those humans seemed more preoccupied with us as a whole than with that whopping great dragon," said Carlos, his jaw set.

Tora sucked in a breath, ready to blast them all to hell and back, when her whole body bubbled. To her horror, the ground rushed up to meet her. The fire in her belly extinguished, replaced with a gnawing hunger. She stretched out both hands to catch her fall. The backs of her hand were smooth, dark, and her finger tips had claws. She straightened up gingerly, staring at the palms of her hands.

Guess Draconae are as unsustainable as they say.

"Kill her!" screeched Markl. Tora's stomach did a somersault. Exhaustion racked through her body. She needed more food.

"No," said Ross, giving him a severe look.

"We will open fire-" squawked one of the humans from faraway.

"Why are you doing this?" said Carlos in disbelief. His fists trembled as he stared from the leader to Tora and then back again. "Just because Tora's a demon... after all we've been through. All this for some artefact?"

"Your ignorance has always been such a winning feature, Carlos. I honestly thought that was just a façade - surely nobody could be that dumb - but you proved me wrong."

"Everything has been a lie just so you can get the Artefact," said Damien, his voice shaking. "You're no Lyre. You used us to get the Artefact and to attack the Shifters. We Seekers and the humans were just a means to an end."

"And I know nothing escapes your intellect, Damien." Markl laughed, a chilling noise wholly alien to Tora's ears. "But you aren't clever enough. You were just so glad to have a place where you belonged, to be accepted, to have friends, that you were willing to tell anyone anything. Including how to manipulate your precious computer system. You'd have thought, considering your basic bonds with your parents were so cruelly betrayed, you would be more wary about throwing your trust around again. I guess you aren't as smart as I gave you credit for."