13

Stevie had finished making lunch, the Sunday following his birthday, and though it was simply grilled chicken sandwiches, she was trying to prove herself to Lindsey. Their lives living together have been different. Stevie cooked, all of the time but it was mostly sandwiches and salads because she didn't eat a lot. And even after Lindsey moved in-the man loves his meat-she'd make these little light meals and he'd make a face and go back to the Pack House and have his mom make him something with more sustenance and she wanted to prove that she could be a good mate and make him hearty-yet still healthy-meals. She went trailing down the halls until she got to the room that they decided for the nursery. Lindsey was literally laying in the middle of the floor watching paint dry

"What are you doing?" She asks leaning against the doorframe scrubbing her hand across her belly. Their little girl was doing flips. 

"Resting. What do you think of the paint color?" Lindsey asks standing up as Stevie pushes into the room. 

"I like it." She kisses his cheek.

The walls were painted a light gray contrasting the dark gray color Lindsey painted the closet. 

"Good, now you need to tell me where to put the furniture." He plops his arm around her shoulder and she interlocks her left hand with his. 

"After Lunch, I made grilled chicken sandwiches." Stevie lays her head on his shoulder. 

"Alright...Hey, Little Girl....we're standing in your bedroom." Lindsey pokes at Stevie's stomach and the baby kicks in response. 

***

While they're eating their lunch, Lindsey clears his throat. "So her wolf is named Perrie and you clearly hate that name. So it's not going to be her middle name. What name are you thinking?" 

"I haven't really thought about it. I tend to forget about the baby until she moves. What are you thinking?" Stevie inquires. 

"Honestly, I kind of like Ginger Eileen." Lindsey shrugs.

"That's cute I like Ella Grace." Stevie grins. 

"How about, we call this one Ella Grace and then the next one Ginger Eileen?" Lindsey questions.

"We are NOT having any more children." She stabs her fork into the french fries she had cooked with the chicken sandwich. 

"I think you'll change your mind," Lindsey smirks. 

"I'm not so sure." She points out. 

"Humor me for a minute Steph, if Ella had been a boy, what would her name be?" Lindsey questions. 

"Something along the same lines as Ella, maybe Eli Grey....It's pretty much the same." Stevie shrugs. 

"I like it. Where'd you hear Grey from?" He asks.

"I don't know. Just looking at the paint swatches I guess. I liked it." She smiles. 

***

At the end of the day, after Stevie's gone to bed Lindsey is standing in the Nursery. Stevie chose a white crib, changing table, and a white dresser. Above the dresser, she placed an elegant mirror. Lindsey didn't know why because the baby wasn't even going to be allowed to sleep in the room for six months and when she can sleep in the room she's going to be too little, but Lindsey wasn't going to argue with her. The curtains were white chiffon and the chair in corner of the room was a light gray with a pink pillow on it and a pink blanket that Barbara crocheted. He sniffled as he looked down at the wood by his side. 

In the werewolf community, only the Alphas and Luna's get stone headstones. The omega's get nothing-except Lindsey and his family found a clearing in the woods where they set up a graveyard for Morris and they made him a headstone-Every other normal wolf got wooden headstones. Lindsey had to make them when he was little a new Omega is making them now, but Lindsey still knows how to do it so he made up a little one for Eli. As he was sitting in the middle of the nursery floor. 

First, he wrote the name in big block letters. ELI GREY BUCKINGHAM. Eli and Grey were on the top line and Buckingham was the bottom. He simply but the year 1973 on it. She was due in early December so he left two spots blank for the month and the day which would be added later as the babies could be born in November. And then he drew a little wolf howling at the moon on it, a blue pacifier, and rattle. He wiped his eyes as he collected the little headstone in his hands and carried it over to the packhouse.

Ruth and Barbara, having become great friends after the mating of their children were both up in the main pack livingroom. Thankfully they were the only two so Lindsey walked right over to them and showed them what he had done. 

"Lindsey, I still think you need to tell her." Ruth sighs.

"I don't like to talk about it. But, I figured we could put him with dad." Lindsey shrugs.

"Where's your mate buried?" Barbara breaks in.

"Omega's aren't allowed to bury their dead. We normally burn the bodies, but I couldn't do that to Morris. He was just a normal wolf at our old pack and if it wasn't for me we wouldn't be omegas so I decided to take matters into my own hands and we found a little clearing and pond in neutral pack area and we buried him by it. My boys made a headstone and everything....but he's a normal wolf, I don't think Stevie's going to go for that." Ruth shakes her head. 

"Mom, something tells me that Stevie's not going to care either way." Lindsey sighs. 

"Don't underestimate my daughter. But anyway...look at this, is it okay?" Barbara holds up a little long sleeve white onesie and a pair of blue knit baby booties, hat, and mittens. 

"I'm working on a blanket to bury him in. I just don't know how small to make it." Ruth shrugs. 

"I think that'll be fine mom. He died at 25 weeks. Stevie knew, she felt pains, and the next day an overwhelming feeling of sadness but neither the doctor, Lily, nor I told her about it." Lindsey sighs.

"So since she doesn't know about that, what are you going to do with it?" Barbara questions.

"I was going to keep it in my old room. I know you guys haven't given it away. I mean no new Omegas have come in yet." Lindsey shrugs.

"Alright, that sounds fine." Ruth nods.

"I'm going to go put it down there and head to bed. If she wakes up in the middle of the night and I'm not there she's going to be upset." Lindsey smiles. 

"Goodnight baby." Ruth grins.

"Night." Lindsey waves.