Chapter 7

The next day Riley stood behind Tris and Al with her weapon in hand. She watched as her brother stood next to Eric in front of the group and explained what they would be doing. She already understood. It was the day they started using their weapons. Riley was beyond nervous. She had never used a gun before. However, she didn't have high expectations for her first time shooting. Neither did Four and Eric. "There are five stands," Eric pointed behind him. "Five of you will go at a time. You'll fire six shots, then disarm your weapon. Then you'll run back with Four and start combat training. Any questions?" There was no pause for anyone to speak, "good. Up first, Peter, Amanda, Christina, Al, and Riley."

Riley's body tensed as Eric called her name. She gripped the gun tighter and followed her friends to the podiums. There were five orange targets about forty feet away from the stands where they had to shoot from. Riley walked towards an open stand. Once she stood in front of it, she kneeled down to set up her weapon. On her right was Al, he was also setting up his gun. To her left was Peter.

The strawberry blonde adjusted her body and set the weapon in place. Before she had the chance to fire, Peter did. He pulled the trigger six times, hitting the target five times. Amanda following in his tracks. Riley felt her nerves begin to take over. She knew every one of her actions were calculated, and any mistake went against her.

"Hey," Al whispered. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Riley smiled at him. "Just nervous."

Al seemed to want to speak but stopped when Eric turned towards him. He fired his first-round missing his the target and hitting the back wall. Riley gripped her weapon tightly and looked at the orange target. She placed her finger over the trigger and pulled. The bullet hit the back wall. Riley fired again, missing a second time. She paused, taking a breath, and readjusting her body. She pulled the trigger a third time and skimmed the target. The small tear in the side of the orange fabric felt like a giant weight off her shoulders. Riley fired twice more, but missed. With one final bullet, Riley positioned her gun for the center of the target and fired. The bullet hit the mark.

Riley lowered her gun and unloaded the empty clip from it. She felt a pair of eyes on her but didn't need to look to know they belonged to her brother. She unloaded her gun as she had practiced and set it on the ground. Riley pushed off the dirt and noticed that the others were walking over towards Four. "Up next, we have Ed, Tris, Will, Ryan, and Chris."

"Okay," Four clapped his hands together. Riley's focus went to him. "Are you ready?" Before anyone could answer, Four turned on his heel and began a full sprint. Riley was quick on her feet in following behind her brother. The younger girl was many things, and fast was one of them. She had spent her adolescent years chasing her brother through Abnegation. However, Riley didn't enjoy running. She was just fast.

"Wow, Stiff," Peter spoke next to her. "You do have one attribute to Dauntless if you would even call it that." With that, he ran past her. Riley's run faltered slightly at Peter's words. His words shouldn't have come as a surprise to her. He was always making comments to her and Tris because of the faction they came from. Riley didn't understand what Peter had against Abnegation.

"Ignore Peter," Al spoke from behind Riley. She glanced at him over her shoulder. She slowed down her run, allowing him to catch up. "He's just a jerk."

"Trust me, I know." Riley turned the corner sharply. Her brother was running about twenty feet ahead of her with Peter just feet behind him. Next in the running line was Al and Riley, with Christina about ten feet behind them. In the back was a girl named Amanda. "I don't know what he has against me."

"It's just Abnegation that he has a problem with, don't take it personally," Al began running a step ahead of her.

Riley took a deep breath. "I don't, but I think Tris does."

"Are you guys robots or something," Christina called from behind them. "Did I miss the memo where we prepared for this before getting here?"

Al rolled his eyes, "just got longer legs, Christina."

"Speak for yourself." Riley picked up her running pace, Al did the same. The strawberry blonde noticed his speed was consistently a few steps ahead of hers. "Are you purposely trying to run faster than me?"

"Isn't that the point," Al smirked.

"No," Riley huffed.

"Pick it up, Initiates," Four called out over his shoulder. With that, he began running faster. Riley took this opportunity to speed up, and as she did, Al did the same.

"You are." Riley continued to pick up the pace. Al laughed as Riley began running past him. Her eyes were locked on the two men in front of her, and she pushed all her energy into catching up with them. They were nearly back to the Dauntless compound, but every step counted. It was a competition to stay in Dauntless. Every move, both good and bad was calculated and could be used to her benefit or ultimately send her to factionless. Riley couldn't risk faltering in any way. She already felt out of place cause of her hidden past and being from Abnegation. Riley was only a foot behind Peter, and the idea of passing him caused her to waver. She knew it would only enrage him more than he normally already was. Her eyes then traveled to her brother, who was glancing over her shoulder at the group following him. Riley knew he noticed her hesitation, but he couldn't question it.

It was only a minute later they were arriving back at Dauntless. Four stopped at a beam, causing Peter and Riley to stop as well. Al was next to join them, his breathing heavy. Riley watched as Christina ran the last few steps, followed by Amanda. "Alright," Four stood tall. He didn't seem to be bothered by the run. "Get water, then go to the center matt for combat training."

"Thank god," Christina mumbled under her breath. She quickly walked into the building with the others following behind her. Riley began to follow, but was stopped by Four grabbing her arm.

"What are you doing," Four spoke lowly.

Riley's eyebrows pulled together in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Slowing down in the run," Four pointed out. "Every move is calculated here. Second isn't enough when you could have gotten first."

"Four," Riley stepped away from him. "It was a jog, besides Peter will only make my life miserable, or Tris's."

"Riley-"

"I'm fine," Riley wanted to prove herself in Dauntless without her brother helping her. She wanted to be Dauntless on her own. "I can do this, Four." Four stared at her, but didn't speak. Riley pursed her lips and turned on her heel heading inside the compound.