Chapter 26

It had only been three days since they got to Amity, and Riley was grateful for their hospitality. She had no idea how much time they had there, and every moment of rest was a treasure. Amity was a beautiful place. Everyone was so kind and caring. Riley enjoyed all the conversations she had with others. All worried about their health and thoughtful of their feelings. It was truly an amazing place. Riley never wanted to leave.

Johanna had opened her home to them, and Riley was forever grateful. The peace and love moto of Amity was a nice change of pace. Riley walked down the path in her dark orange shoes. The baggy cream pants she wore let the breeze from the wind go right through them. She pulled at the thin orange button-down shirt. The color scheme was questionable, primarily due to her hair color matching most of the clothes. However, she didn't mind. "And then I said, no, I will not get on that horse." Maddie, a girl from the school that Riley volunteered at in the mornings, twirled around her. "Horses are scary."

"Yes, they are," Riley agreed with a light laugh. The blonde girl jumped forward onto a rock, attempting to keep her balance as Riley balanced a basket of vegetables comfortably on her hip.

"Have you ever been on a horse Miss Riley?"

"No," Riley stared at her with a loving smile. "I haven't."

"We can go on it together," Maddie decided. The five-year-old was very outgoing for her age, but Riley liked that about her. "That way it isn't so scary."

The idea was sweet, and Riley stopped walking. "I think that's a lovely idea." Maddie smiled at her, happy that she had agreed. "Until then, you need to get back to class. Don't want Mrs. Peters tracking you down."

Maddie huffed, crossing her arms. "Fine. I'm going." Swifty, the young girl began running down the hill. Her white dress turning brown at the bottom as she stomped through any puddle she saw. Riley laughed shaking her head.

"Hey," a voice called. Riley turned on her heel, the fresh basket of vegetables shifting on her hip. Caleb jogged up down the small hill towards her. "Where are you headed?"

"The dome," Riley spoke. "They need these veggies for dinner tonight." She had already spent her morning at the school helping out with classes and her afternoon making the trip back and forth to help out.

"Right," Caleb mentally kicked himself. "Um, would you like some company?"

Riley chuckled at his attitude and pretended not to see his flushed cheeks. "I would love some."

"Cool." The two began walking towards the large glass dome that held the kitchens. Each of them was given a variety of chores to do each day. But Riley always managed to finish them quickly. Johannah didn't seem to mind when she volunteered her free time in other areas. Like now as she helped the other Amity in the garden. "I thought you already finished your chores?"

"I did," Riley hummed.

"So, why are you carrying vegetables to the dome?"

"I had free time, wanted to help out."

Caleb chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. "Are you sure you're not Amity?"

A smile appeared on her face, but Riley forced it to go away. Caleb was nice, maybe overly nice. The two had spent a lot of time together since meeting on the train. He was kind, tall, and a little handsome. But Riley wasn't interested in him. She missed Eric. Although he aligned himself with Jeanine, she knew his heart was conflicted. He let her go and knowingly let her escape with Tris and Four. "I am." Caleb was confused by her response. "Divergent, remember?"

"Oh, yeah." The two entered the dome. There was a group preparing dinner in the back, and that's where they headed.

"Riley," a woman, Mel, smiles at her. "You're such a dear. Thank you."