Chapter 47

They were appointed a sleeping area. It's an open area where Riley feels exposed. They all found their beds quickly. Once settled, they began to venture out. Tris went to speak with David. He was the director of everything.

She had wasted the entire day thinking, as she commonly did.

Now, it was night. It was time to sleep, but Riley couldn't shut off her thoughts. They were consuming her. She felt vulnerable and scared. Looking around, she noticed everyone else was asleep. They had no problem resting. Tris and Tobias were close by. Uriah and Peter to the right of her. Caleb was to the left of Tris, and Christina was next to Riley. The only person not close was Eric, who was keeping his distance. She couldn't blame him. The only person who liked him was her, and she still wasn't sure that was a true statement.

Riley wasn't sure what to do next. Learning she was part of an experiment and that her entire life was based on a lie wasn't something easily processed by the mind. She had no idea what to do with herself. All of them were handling the news differently. Uriah and Peter were more upbeat. Tris seemed optimistic, as did Christina. Tobias was wary. Caleb and Eric were a different story. They both helped Jeanine because they believed in her. Now they had an entirely different perspective. Everything they believed in was a lie. So many people had died because of them, both of them.

Riley felt an urge to comfort Eric, but she didn't. Being here at the Bureau made her realize all of the horrible things all of them had done. All of the pointless fighting and wars. None of it mattered.

The Faction system was just a prison. Evelyn was right. It was a way to control everything. It was all meaningless. Riley had never felt so insignificant in the world. A world that was much bigger than she imagined. For so many years, she trusted the Faction system. She believed there was a place out there for her. Now she was staring the truth in the face and still couldn't accept it.

When she found out she was Divergent, it terrified her. Yet, it gave her hope. It made her feel like she was different. She wasn't just the daughter of Marcus Eaton. She was more. She was special. It turns out she isn't. Riley wasn't anything special.

She pushes out of bed. Sleep wasn't something that would visit her tonight. So, she starts to walk. In Dauntless, it helped her. She found comfort in being alone. However, as she walked out of the room and down the hallway. Riley felt anything but comfort. This wasn't a place she found solace in. This place wasn't her home. But her home wasn't her home anymore. It was just an experiment. None of it was real.

Riley finds an empty ledge against a window. She is on the second floor of the airport. Air travel still didn't seem real. It seems crazy but exciting. She had always loved heights. Maybe they will get a chance to experience air travel.

Her eyes scan over the area. She curls into herself and leans against the cool glass. The area is full of plant life, at least a mile all around. Then, it turns back to orange/red clay. The Bureau was in the center. Almost a perfect circle. There were long roads that led to nowhere.

The Bureau itself was still questionable. It didn't help that the Bureau was watching everything. They knew every detail about them. They had been watching them for years. Riley fears what they saw. Did they see her father's abuse? Did they watch her cry herself to sleep every night? Did they watch her time in Dauntless? A shiver went down her spine at the thought. She hoped they didn't see some of the things she did.

"Hey," a voice said. Riley jumped, placing a hand on her heart. She turned her head to see Eric standing in the shadows. His figure was barely illuminated by the outside light.

"Hey." Riley isn't sure why he's there. "What are you doing out here?"

He ignores the question and sits across from her. She watches him for a moment. "What are you thinking about?"