Prologue

"That's why I'm not in Candor

"That's why I'm not in Candor."
- Riley Eaton

"She said let go

"She said let go."
- Eric Coulter

Soundtrack

Grace - Lewis Capaldi
   "I found salvation in the form of your grace"

Silence - Marshmello, Khalid
   "I'd rather be a lover than a fighter, 'cause all my life I've been fighting"

Family Line - Conan Gray
   "Someone who loves you wouldn't do this"

Happiest Year - Jaymes Young
   "Oh, love, I couldn't quit"

The Power of Love - Gabrielle Aplin
   "The power of love, a force from above"

I'll Be Good - Jaymes Young
   "But the blood on my hands scares me to death"
   "I'll be good, and I'll love the world like I should"

You And Me - Lifehouse
   "I can't keep my eyes off of you"

    The rest of the world was destroyed in the war hundreds of years ago, and everything that remained was in the city. They were protected by the wall that surrounded them. The founders had built it. They were made up of five factions to keep the peace. There were the Dauntless who were brave, Amity the kind, Erudite the intelligent, Candor the honest, and Abnegation the selfless. Riley was born into Abnegation. Although, she never felt like she was entirely Abnegation. They believed in living a life of simplicity and dedication to others and even feed the factionless. The factionless were people who didn't belong to any faction.

Abnegation was trusted with the task of running the government because of their dedication to helping others. Marcus Eaton was the leader, and he was Riley's father. He was an excellent leader to the factions and had done a lot of good for them. Riley goes with him to every public event they had and sat with the other Abnegation as they spoke about how to run things. It was, all the same, every time, nothing ever changed. The system they had was perfect, and everyone knew where they belonged.

Except Riley felt she didn't belong, far from it.

To everyone her life was perfect, she was daughter of Marcus Eaton. The leader of Abnegation, everything should be easy for her, but it wasn't. She was unhappy. To the rest of the world, her father was a kind and gentleman who helped others, but when he was at home with her, it's a different story. He was rough, and at times physically violent. Riley was scared to stay but more scared to leave. Her brother Tobias had left years ago. When he left Riley knew, but her father didn't. When he left and joined Dauntless, it sent her father into a rage that Riley feels years later.

Riley wanted to follow after her brother into Dauntless, but she knew that it depended on her test results. The test would show her where she was supposed to be, and if she got Abnegation, then that's where she would stay. It was hard accepting the fact that she may never see her brother again, but she didn't know what to do. Riley never felt like she belonged in Abnegation, but she didn't know if she was Dauntless either. She could only hope that her test would give her the answers she needed.

For her brother, it was simple. He was leaving to join Dauntless, and get as far away from there father as possible. He had scored Abnegation, but he was free to choose any faction, and he picked Dauntless.

"Riley," Tobias whispered as they crouched in front of her bed, "I need you to listen to me for a second."

"I'm listening," Riley nodded, looking at her brother though her hazel eyes. She was sitting on the bed with her legs dangling off the side.

Tobias sighed as he tried to find the right words. He didn't know how to tell her he was leaving her alone with their father, "tomorrow at the ceremony, I'm choosing Dauntless." Riley's small smile fell at his words. Early in the day, he told he scored Abnegation on his test.

"What," her voice broke at his words. She almost asked if he was joking, but by the look on his face, she could tell he wasn't, "I thought you scored Abnegation?"

"I did, I just," he paused, "I can't stay here."

Riley nodded understanding as a few tears streamed down her face, "I understand."

"I'm sorry," he truly was. If there was a way to bring her with he would. "I don't want to leave you here with him."

"Don't be," Riley wiped away her tears, "I get it, I would leave too." Downstairs the door slammed, and they both jumped. They both knew who it was, but neither addressed it. She noticed the guilty look in his eyes. "Hey, it's okay. I'll be okay. Don't worry about me, worry about you."

Tobias blinked once, holding back his one emotions. "On your choosing day, I want you to pick Dauntless." That day was years away, and it was far from her mind.

"Tobias," Riley mumbled, finding his statement ridiculous. People rarely left the factions they were born into, and she was Abnegation, "I can't leave."

"You can't stay here with him." Riley knew he was right. With Tobias leaving things were only going to get worse.

"Tobias," their father screamed from downstairs.

"Just promise me," Tobias whispered, "just promise you won't stay here."

That night had been the last night she spoke to him. The following morning at the ceremony Tobias choose Dauntless and never cast a second glance at them too scared to look in his father's direction. Riley didn't blame him, their father hid it well, but he was fuming. Nearly shaking in his seat, but he remained silent as her brother sat with the Dauntless. When he got home, that's when he lost it. Riley knew even if she didn't pick Dauntless, Tobias was right. She couldn't stay around her father for another fifty years. Even if she didn't live with him anymore, she would still be around him, and that was just as bad.

Riley just kept reminding herself to wait for the test and that the test would tell her what to do, but at the same time, Tobias didn't listen to his test scores. He knew what he wanted to do, and he went did hesitate to go for it. Riley wished it was that easy for her. Everyone else knew where they belonged except for her, and she wanted the test to help her figure it out.

~~~~~~~~

Anything in Italics are flashbacks. Hope you enjoy!