Chapter 15

The second half of training was much different than the first half. They only had a few weeks left, and Riley's fears were taking over. Four was starting to question her test results. It would only be a matter of time before he figured out she was Divergent. Although, Riley wasn't entirely sure what that meant. She knew it was dangerous. They hated Divergent's, and that meant they hated her. Riley didn't see herself as dangerous, not in any way. But that didn't matter, not to them.

Eric was still making them train, but it wasn't nearly as bad as before. The main focus now was their mental training, but they still had to keep up with their strength. Riley was grateful for the break from her brother and avoided him at all costs.

Riley also thought about Tris and the possibility she was also Divergent. There was a slim chance, and Riley knew that. Tris was very smart and most likely was able to handle her fear landscape on her own. That seemed much more plausible. Tori said that she couldn't trust anyone, not even her own family. As much as Riley wanted to tell someone, she couldn't. It could cost her life.

Training became her favorite thing, allowing her to forget about the possibility of being discovered. The only downside was that Eric ran their training. Riley didn't dislike Eric. In fact, it was the opposite. His hot and cold nature entranced her. With everything going on, that was dangerous. Riley had to focus on getting herself through initiation alive. "Sometimes," Christina's voice broke Riley from her thoughts. "I really hate you."

Christina's body was hunched over as she desperately tried to catch her breath. Riley let out a laugh, knowing her friend was only joking. Eric had split them into several groups. Riley and Christina were paired together to train for the day. They were tasked with sparing first and then would have to do a two-mile run. "Sorry, Christina." It wasn't a secret that Riley was a fast runner. Everyone knew that now. Peter had sworn she only outran him cause right before the finish line. She tripped him. "You're getting faster."

She huffed, "that's a complete lie."

"Well," Riley smiled. "That's why I'm not in Candor."

It was Christina's turn to laugh, and she did, loudly. It caught the attention of a few others around them who were also finishing their run. "Next time we get paired together, I'm faking an injury."

"I'm sure that will go over well with Eric."

Christina laughed and nudged her shoulder. "Took you guys long enough," Will trotted over for them. "Thought you got lost on the way back."

"We didn't," Riley ran a hand through her hair. It was sweaty from her run, and she pulled it into a makeshift ponytail. "Christina's a slow runner."

"I am not," Christina spoke. "I'm just shorter than all of you."

"Excuses, excuses," Will threw an arm over her shoulder. Riley raised an eyebrow, questioning with her eyes. Christina only smirked, leaning into Will, almost confirming her suspicions.

It was no secret the two liked each other. And now they seemed to be acting on it. "Look at you two."

"Shut up," Christina moved away from Will and towards Riley. She laughed as her friend brushed past her and into the building. As expected, Christina turned back and nodded for them to follow after her.

"I have to wait for Molly," Will called back.

Riley took the opportunity to question her friend. "You and Will?"

"Me and Will," Christina sighed. "Still not sure."

"You both clearly like each other," Riley began. She wanted her two friends to be happy. "It'll happen eventually." Christina was not a patient person, that much was clear. "Don't stress about it."