Chapter 57

Tobias gave Riley the memory serum. He stayed in the room with Evelyn to discuss the plan for meeting Johanna and Marcus. They needed to put an end to this war. Riley holds the vial tightly. She wants to smash it in her hands. Force Peter not to do this, but she doesn't. This choice didn't make sense to her, but it was his.

Peter's head tilts up at the sound of boots clicking against the tile. "Hey," he stands up. "Did Tobias reset her?"

"No," she informs him. "She's joining us." It's clear he holds back from making a sarcastic comment. "I have this." Riley holds up the vial. "And I want you to know it's taking all of my inner strength not to smash it on the ground."

He understands. "I never had any friends growing up." Riley isn't sure why he's telling her. "The first sort of friend I had was Edward, and I blinded him in one eye." It's the first time he admits what he did. "I tried to kill you." He did do that. "Yet, you treated me as an equal."

"Because you are worthy of being treated that way." Riley doesn't want him to do this. "Peter, you're my friend. I don't want you to forget. You can change. I've seen people do it." Eric was doing it. He was changing for the better.

"But I won't," he responds. "We both know I won't." Riley hates that his words might be true.

"You won't even try?" Peter takes the bottle from her. "Is there anything you want to remember?" He thinks for a moment. "Anything." He unscrews the cap. This is it. In a moment, Peter will forget everything he knows.

"I do regret pushing you off that ledge."

Riley smiles slightly. "I could have kicked your ass if I was prepared."

He laughs a real, genuine laugh. She prepares to try to convince him to abandon this idea one last time but never has the chance. Peter does something unexpected. He kisses her. Riley's dumbfounded. It lasts maybe a second, and he pulls away. "Stay brave, Riley." And with that, he drinks the liquid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Peter she knew was gone. He's clueless about everything. Tobias had said it was an after-effect of the memory serum. It will fade soon. "Peter," Tobias scolds him. The boy turns around, pointing at himself. "Yes, you, you idiot." Riley grins. "Come here. We have to go." Peter runs towards him like a puppy. It's amusing in some sick, twisted way.

Evelyn walks beside Riley. They're going to the park to meet the others. Evelyn had gotten ahold of Marcus over the radio. "What happened to your face?" She's trying to make conversation to mask her fear, but Riley knows deep down she's terrified to face Marcus.

Riley's fingers dance over her bruised skin. "There was an explosion." That concerns Evelyn. "I was by it. Luckily, most of the others weren't." Evelyn stares at her. "It did take Uriah."

"Are you okay?"

"No," she answers truthfully. "I'll forever be weaker, slower, and I have permanent tremors in my hands." 

"I'm sorry." The conversation ends after that.

Riley notices the fear in her eyes. It's not from her words. She recognizes the fear. It's the fear Marcus gives them. Riley does something that shocks her. She grabs Evelyn's hand and intertwines their fingers. The moment she does, the older woman smiles. It's the first step for them. Whatever happens next, Riley knows she has her mother by her side.

Johanna and Marcus are already there. Johanna carries no weapon, but Marcus does. He points his gun at Evelyn. "Tobias, Riley," Johanna hides her surprise. "What are you two doing here?"

"Trying to stop a war," he says. "You're carrying a weapon."

For the first time, Riley notices the gun in her waistband. "Obtaining peace requires difficult measures. I think you agree with that." They do. It was why they were sacrificing the minds of the people back at the Bureau.