Chapter 5

The following morning Four had woken them up and instructed they meet in The Pit. Riley wondered what they would be meeting about, but deep down, she already knew. It was her first morning in Dauntlesss, and her body was filled with a childish joy that she hid from the others. She walked besides Tris as they entered The Pit. Her eyes instantly landed on her brother, and Eric, one of the leaders. "Listen," Four began walking towards them. "There are two stages of training. The first is physical. You have to push your bodies to the ultimate breaking point, and you'll master the methods of combat. The other is mental, again a breaking point. You will face your worst fears and conquer them, or they will conquer you." Riley nodded in understanding. What Four said she understood, at least to a point. "You will be trained separately from the Dauntless born, but you'll be ranked together." That part confused Riley. She didn't understand what Four meant by ranking. "After initiation, rankings will determine where you move onto." Riley nodded. "If that is guarding the fence, leadership, or keeping the factionless from killing each other."

"They will also determine who gets cut," Eric spoke without care. This caused Riley's heart to jump in her chest. She didn't know what he was talking about.

"Cut," Christina questioned unsure.

Eric pushed off the bench he was sitting on, "at the end of each stage, the lowest ranking initiates will be leaving."

"To do what," Al asked.

"Well," Eric started. "You can't return home, so you live factionless." Riley blinked in surprise as she processed the news she had been given.

"Why didn't we know that?"

"It's a new rule," Eric shrugged. Riley felt her heart drop in her chest as the idea of being kicked out of Dauntless. She had only just arrived, she wasn't ready to leave.

"A new rule," Christina huffed. "Someone should have told us-"

"Why," he cut her off. "Would you have chosen a different faction? Out of fear? If you are really Dauntless, it shouldn't matter." Eric looked at them carefully, "you choose us. Now we choose you."

"Let the training begin," Tobias stepped forward. Riley sucked in a sharp breath knowing the next ten weeks were going to be the most challenging of her life, if she made it that long.

~~~~~~

Riley's body ached as she stood in The Pit, Four had made them run five miles as there starting workout along with some basic punches on the punching bag. Now, they were starting combat. She found learning combat to be easier than running. Even more so with Four as her group's teacher. She felt safe and happy listening to her brother's voice, a sound she missed. It was the same voice that would read her stories before bed. It was also the same voice that soothed her after her father's outbursts. "Two more," Four instructed, and Riley listened. She was determined to prove herself in Dauntless and make it on the leader board. Her fist hit the punching bag hard, and then harder the second time, causing the bag to swing back. "Good," Four nodded at her. "That's enough for today." Riley took a step back and smiled to herself. She raised her hand and wiped the sweat off her forehead. "Get cleaned up before dinner."

"Hey," Christina walked over to her. "How are you feeling?"

Riley looked over at her friend. "Exhausted, drained, but overall I'm happy that training is over. How are you?"

"The same," she smiled at her. "This is a lot harder than I expected."

"I understand," and it was true. "It'll be worth it."

"Let's go before all the showers are taken," Christina began walking towards the rooms.

"I'll catch up with you," Riley called after her. Christina only waved in acknowledgment. The strawberry blonde turned on her heel and noticed that Four was standing behind her. He was bent over, picking up a black bag. Riley looked around the room and began walking towards him. Four stood up and noticed her stepping closer. He stopped packing his bag and smiled at her. She smiled back, but her walk was cut short at the sound of someone calling for her brother.