Chapter 23

"Are you sure that's what you saw," Riley whispered to Tris as they stood together. "Erudite was here?"

Tris looked around, "yes. They were loading in supplies. Four took one of the vials. He thinks it's some sort of cognitive transfer. It's injected like a serum." Riley processed the information slowly. It was a scary thought. Erudite overthrowing Abnegation and taking over. It was possible, but Riley knew that Erudite would need the help of Dauntless. 

There was a crowd around them, but most were not paying attention. "But why?"

Tris coughed, taking yet another look around. "He said it makes someone more susceptible." Riley blinked, "there was enough to create an army."

"An army," her voice got loud, and Tris quickly shushed her. "Sorry. I'm sorry." Erudite was planning something, but it wasn't clear what. "I don't know what to do. What do we do?"

"I don't know."

Max stepped onto a table across from them, his eyes roaming over the group. "Congratulations," he began. "Welcome to Dauntless."

"Yeah!" Christina turned to her two female friends and wrapped her arms around them. Riley felt a brief moment of joy. They had believed both Tris and Riley were Dauntless and not Divergent. But with the news of Erudite bringing in vials of something that made people more susceptible caused her to worry. "We did it."

Riley and Tris both shared a nervous look, not sure what to do. Max gestured towards the door, putting an end to the celebrations. Riley stepped down from the table she was on and began walking with her friends. Will had an arm wrapped around Christina, both of them smiling. Neither had any idea what was going on in their friend's heads. "It's going to be okay," Riley whispered to Tris. "We just have to act excited to be here."

"That's hard," Tris muttered.

Will began to poke Christina's sides, causing the girl to squirm. The four walked into the Pit and noticed everyone was in line. "Everyone get in line."

Riley felt a weird sense rush through her as if something was very wrong. "What's going on?"

"All Dauntless initiates," the intercom began. "Report to your command leader."

"Alright, listen up," Eric's voice filled the room. Riley glanced up at him, her mind going blank for a moment. "Before you leave tonight, we need you in four lines. You're all getting a tracking device."

"A tracking device," Riley spoke in shock.

"Don't ask questions," Eric's eyes searched the room. "It's just a precaution." As his eyes traveled in her direction, she made sure to be looking elsewhere.

Tobias had never mentioned getting a tracker, and Riley began to put the pieces together. If her gut was right, there were enough people in this room to create an army. Just like Tobias had thought when he found the vials. "Do you see Four?"

"No." Riley searched the room for her brother but couldn't find him. More and more initiates were getting the injection, and Riley knew she had to get out of there. "Tris, we need to-," but Tris was gone. "Tris?"

"What's going on," Will placed a hand on Riley's shoulder.

"Tris," Riley was starting to panic. "Tris?"

"Hey," Christina stepped in front of her. "What's wrong?"

"I have to go." Riley shuffled away from them and began searching the area for Tris. At the same time, she had to keep her head down to avoid attracting unwanted attention.

It didn't take her long to find Tris. She was speaking with Eric. Riley watched as someone came up behind her and quickly injected the item into her. Tris flinched and instantly went to rub her neck. Their eyes met, and Tris faintly shook her head. There was a plea in her eye for Riley to run. Unfortunately, Eric noticed and turned around. They locked eyes, and he could see the momentary flash of fear. "Riley," he called for her. The girl spun on her heel and made her way to the closest door. She tried to appear calm, but it didn't work.