Chapter 34

"Tobias said you're close with the prisoner," Evelyn spoke to her daughter. Riley sat on the ledge. Her knees pulled to her chest. They had made it back to Factionless a few hours ago, but it wasn't a pleasant entry. Tobias did not want to side with their mother, but they didn't have any other options. They needed the numbers.

"I was," Riley whispered looking over the edge. "I'm not sure about that anymore."

Evelyn nodded, stepping onto the ledge to sit. "Well, so far, he's proven to be of limited use. He's with Edgar currently, but he's not the talkative type."

Riley should have felt comforted by that, but she wasn't. She partly hated Eric for what he did. Willing following Jeanine and killing innocent people. The reminder of his actions overpowered her emotions for him, or so she told herself. "Well, Tobias took the truth serum. That probably would help."

"Oh, we haven't used any of the serum," Evelyn told her. "Some of his information has been given voluntarily." Riley stared at her, "after Edgar had some time alone with him."

That caused a chill to run down her spine, "what did he do to him?"

"Relax," her mom waved her off. "He didn't hurt him too badly."

"He shouldn't have touched him at all."

Evelyn shifted her head to the side, "you do care about him."

Riley huffed, rolling her eyes at her mother. "He did save me back at Dauntless."

"I know." There was a pause, "Tobias told me a few things." Riley didn't want to talk about it with her. "Would you like to see him?" She nearly said yes. In fact, she almost screamed it. However, Riley didn't. Seeing him wouldn't be a good idea. He was working with Jeanine. He was tracking Divergents and killing them. She was Divergent. How was she supposed to forgive him for that? "No one is perfect, Riley. Trust me," Evelyn leaned closer, reaching for her hand. Surprisingly, she didn't pull away. "He cares about you. Trust me."

"He killed people," Riley argued. "Innocent people. Divergents. People like me."

"But he didn't kill you," Evelyn pressed. "And that means something. At least to me it does."

That was true, but Riley still couldn't forget about all the others who were no longer here because of him. "Where is he?"

Evelyn smiled, "I'll take you."

"Thank you." The two hopped off the ledge and headed back inside. Riley's heart began to race in her chest as they walked together through the building. The idea of seeing Eric sent a wave of nerves rushing through her. This time he would be the one in distress, most likely tied to a chair bleeding from whatever Edgar had done to him.

Once they got to the second floor, Evelyn guided her down an area of Factionless Riley had never been. The hallways were darker than the rest of the building. "He's in here."

Riley nodded, and Evelyn pushed open a door. The older woman signaled for her to step in first. The room was dimly lit, and the only people inside were Eric and Edgar. Riley had been right. Eric was tied to a chair in the center of the room. White ropes entrapped his hands, ankles, and chest. His back was to her. He had yet to see her. 

At the sound of the door opening, Edgar looked up. "Hey, Strawberry," he nodded at her. "What are you doing down here?"

"I sent her," Evelyn stepped into the room. Riley slowly stepped forward, nervously rubbing her hands together. As she approached him, Eric turned his head. He hid his emotions well, keeping his signature stone-cold expression. However, his face was bruised and bleeding. "Edgar, come with me, please."