Chapter 12

I woke up, picking my sore neck out of my back, and peered up at the sky. Two days I'd been in the mountains, and still I was here. Flying at say, 50-60 miles an hour all through daylight I should be out of these mountains now. Cami told me to go straight, but I really felt like the mountains would go for a lot longer.

I picked up my clothes from the branch below me, swearing I would toss them as soon as possible. In fact, once I found Cameron's genus, I would get clothes first, shift later.

My clothes dangled from my talons, a rotting mess. They were literally rotting. The clothes had green mold sprouting from here and there, holes in places, and bits that were shredding.

Why didn't I just bury them now? Well, I guess I did need them to show I wasn't just some random bird from out of the blue.

I stared at them for a couple seconds, annoyed at the clothes.

Picking them up a little more and swinging them around, I lifted off. I used to not mind the clothes dangling around like a flag behind me, but now they gave me shivers when I thought about them, and I wanted nothing more than to let them go and fall to the ground to be buried away by the forces of nature.

I watched the mountains ahead of me start to get closer and closer as the minutes and hours passed by, until I passed them.

I was bugged by something, and I didn't know what, but I felt sudden pangs of guilt and fear. I knew I shouldn't be fearful because I could attract predators, but I couldn't help it.

I hadn't seen much action the past few days and although that was relief, sometimes I was so bored I just wanted something to come and chase me.

Nothing moved in the mountains ahead despite my sudden feelings. No animals scattered as my shadow threatened them, nothing but the trees in the wind.

The mountains got significantly colder. My human form missed the desert, but in eagle form I didn't mind this weather, in fact it was better than it had been for my eagle form in the desert.

I missed the canyon, no matter how well my traveling was. Cami could have been my first friend made in this dimension and the place was nothing like the smelly city. I used to like the suburbs I lived in, preferring a day on my bike or at my friends house than out on a hike or snowboarding.

The canyon had made a difference for me though, I enjoyed flying, seeing the views, living without homework, a school I could actually live with! All had been fine, but I guess everything has its problems. Nothing is perfect.

The mountains were gorgeous I'll admit, but I proffered the canyon and the desert.

My thoughts were really swimming in my head now, and I hated that. Every time one little subject popped into my head, another came along, followed by a whole chain of thoughts. My thoughts could only be disrupted by something serious or entertaining that came along. The wonders that could happen in my head without a smartphone.

Which reminds me...there was a time way back when, we had had a discussion about daydreaming, and the affect of phones. Apparently daydreaming helps your creative juices flow, and the lack of smartphones helps with that down time.

Gosh, I'm doing it again! At first, losing my phone wasn't that bad, not like I'd actually cared for it, but sometimes I felt like I needed it. Sometimes I really just wanted to call a friend and bug the crap out of them with a conversation that lets me settle down, or to play some games to cool me off...

I shook my head to rid myself of these annoying thoughts but they only kept coming. I sighed in annoyance.

I took focus again, realizing that I was hungry. The thoughts stopped like I'd just stopped time it self. Hallelujah!