the pollywog

FLASHBACK

I watched as Hopper put the Eggos in the chest. I followed him out to his car. He turned around, spotting me. He waved me over to the car, helping me get in.

FLASHBACK OVER

"Rise and shine," Hopper called as I opened my eyes. I turn away from him, rolling my eyes. "So that's it, huh? You're still not talking? All right. I guess I'm just gonna have to, uh... enjoy this triple-decker Eggo extravaganza on my own," Hopper sighs, leaving the room. A smile grows on my face at his offer.

Hopper cut into the treat as he began to eat. "Mmm. Good, right? You know the great thing about it? It's only 8,000 calories," Hopper chuckled. "You visited him again last night?" Hopper asks. "He says he needs me," I blurt. "Want me to go check on him?" Hop questions. I shake my head, no. "I know that you miss him, all right? But it's too dangerous. You're the last thing he needs right now. You're gonna see him. Soon. And not just in that head of yours. You're gonna see him in real life. I feel like I'm making progress with these people," He explained. "Friends don't lie," I exclaim. "What?" Hopper quizzes. "You say "soon" on day 21. You say "soon" on day 205. You now say "soon" on day 326?" I ask. "What is this? You're like counting the days now like you're some kind of prisoner?" Hopper questions. "When is "soon"?" I ask. "Soon" Is when... it's not dangerous anymore," Hopper explains. "When?" I ask. "I don't know," he sighs. "On day 500?" I ask. "I don't know," he repeats. "On day 600?" I add. "I don't know," he groans. "Day 700? On day 800?" I continue. "No!" he exclaims. "I need to see him. Tell me!" I demand. I use my powers to make Hopper dump the Eggos on himself. "Oh! Shit! Shit!" he groans. "Friends don't lie!" I repeat before storming into my room and slamming the door.

I lay in bed, looking at the TV. I walk over to it, putting the blindfold on. I sigh before ripping it off. I slowly open my bedroom door, stepping out into the living room. I stare at the locks on the front door, remembering the first time Hopper brought me here.

FLASHBACK

We walk inside the cabin, kicking the snow off our shoes. "My grandad used to live here. Long time ago. I mainly just use it for storage now. Lot of history in here. So, uh... what do you think? It'a work-in-progress. You know, it's, uh... It takes a little imagination, but, uh... once we fix it up, it's gonna be nice. Real nice. This is your new home," Hopper smiles. "Home," I repeat. Hopper opened a box, pulling out a record. "All right, this... this is music," Hopper exclaimed, putting the record on the record player. As the music started to play, Hopper did a little dance and snapped, making me laugh. "All right. Let's get to work," Hopper smiled. Hopper and I cleaned up his cabin. He taught me morse code. And we set up a tripwire.

FLASHBACK OVER

"Rule number one: Always keep the curtains drawn" His voice went through my head as I opened the curtains. "Rule number two: only open the door if you hear my secret knock" I unlock the door and open it, walking out onto the porch. "And rule number three: don't ever go out alone, especially not in daylight," I walked outside. I begin to walk into the forest. "Not stupid," I exclaimed, walking over the tripwire. I stop walking when I see a mom and her daughter. I remembered the time Hopper read me a story.

FLASHBACK

"Do I have a mother?" I ask. "I'm sure you do. You couldn't really be born without one," Hopper chuckled slightly. "Where is she?" I ask. "She... She's probably still out there," Hopper explained. "Gone?" I question. "I don't know, kid. I don't know," Hopper sighs. I begin to cry. "I'm sorry I can't help," he exclaimed.

FLASHBACK OVER

"Is your mom here? Sweetie?" The woman asked, pulling me from my thoughts. I look over to her. "School. Where is school?" I ask, "The school? It's, uh... it's about a mile that way. At least. Where are your parents?" She asked. I focused my attention on the daughter, making her run to the playground. As the mother turned to look at her daughter, I ran to the school.

When I get to school, I see Mike's bike. I touch the handle before walking inside. I could hear Mike say something, I turn to the hallway he was in, I walk down the hall. I walked past an entrance before hearing his voice again. I follow his voice until I find him. He was in the gym being circled by some girl. I make the girl fall off her skateboard before running out of the building.

Mike's pov

"What happened?" I ask Max as I help her up. "I don't know. It was just like, someone pulled me off the board. I know that sounds crazy," She explains. Y/n, I thought. I run out of the doors only into the lobby of the gym, only for it to be empty.