trick or treat freak

"Oh, Jesus!" Hopper groans as he turns around and sees me. "Ghost," I blurt. "Yeah, I see that," He replies. "Halloween," I add. "Sure is. But right now, it's breakfast, okay? Come on, let's eat," Hopper sighs. "They wouldn't see me," I continue. "Who wouldn't see you?" Hopper quizzes. "The bad men," I reply. "What are you talking about?" Hopper asks. "Trick or treat," I stammer. "You want to go trick-or-treating?" Hopper asks. I nod. "You know the rules," he replies. "Yes, but--" I begin. "Yeah, so you know the answer," Hopper cuts me off, walking me to the chair. I look at his wrist and see a blue hairband that I recognized. "No, but they wouldn't see me," I explain, pushing my thoughts away. "No. Hey. I don't care. I don't care, all right? You go out there, ghost or not, it's a risk. We don't take risks. All right? They're stupid, and..."Hopper begins. "We're not stupid!" I grunt. "Exactly. Now, you take that off, sit down and eat. Your food's getting cold," Hop demands. I sit down in the chair. I watch as Hopper pours the syrup on the toast. "All right, look... How about I get off early tonight, and I buy us a bunch of candy, and we can sit around and get fat, and we watch a scary movie together? How's that for a compromise?" Hopper suggests. "Compromise?" I stutter. "C-O-M-promise. Compromise. How about that's your word for the day? Yeah? It's something that's kinda in-between. It's like halfway happy," Hopper explained. "By 5-1-5?" I ask. "5:15. Yeah, sure," Hopper agrees. "Promise?" I ask. "Yes. I promise," Hop nods. "Halfway happy," I repeat, picking up my fork and beginning to eat. Hopper smiles, ruffling my hair.

Mike's pov

Mom took pictures of me in my costumes. "All right, that's the last one," I plead. "No, just one more. Come on, please? You look so cute," Mom insisted. "Can we go to school?" I ask. "Wait, wait. Okay, say, 'who you gonna call?' " Mom exclaimed. "No!" I groan.

As we rode up to school, the boys and I sang the ghostbusters theme song. "Who you gonna call?" we sang. "Ghostbusters!" Will exclaimed. "Hey, Spengler!" I smile. "Egon! Yeah!" Lucas called. "Venkman!" Will pointed to Lucas. "Whoa! Whoa!" I began. "What?" Lucas asked. "Why are you Venkman?" I ask. "Because I'm Venkman," Lucas explained. "No, I'm Venkman," I retort. "Why can't there just be two Venkman's?" Will quizzed. "Because there's only one Venkman in real life. We planned this months ago. I'm Venkman, Dustin's Stanz, you're Egon, and you're Winston," I explain. "I specifically didn't agree to Winston," Lucas snapped. "Yes, you did!" I scoff. "I don't think he did," Will adds. "No one wants to be Winston, man," Lucas adds. "What's wrong with Winston?" I ask. "What's wrong with Winston? He joined the team super late, he's not funny, and he's not even a scientist!" Lucas explained. "Yeah, but he's still cool," I defend. "If he's cool, then you be Winston," Lucas sneered. "I can't!" I exclaim. "Why not?" Lucas asked. "Because..." I stutter. "Because you're not black?" Lucas mocked me. "I didn't say that!" I exclaim. "You thought it," Lucas retorts. "I didn't say it, though!" I defend. "Guys... Guys! Guys!" Dustin shouted. We all turned to face what he was looking at. "Why is no one else wearing costumes?" Dustin asked.

We walked down the hallway earning laughs from various students. "When do people make these decisions?" Dustin questioned. "Everyone dressed up last year," Will pointed out. "It's a conspiracy, I'm telling you," Dustin adds. "Just be cool," I mutter. "Who you gonna call? The nerds!" someone yelled.

time skip

As we rode down the hill on our bikes, Dustin continued to rant to us. "Really, everyone dressed up last year," he exclaimed. "Hey, guys?" Dustin shouts. "Go!" We scream as the vehicle drives faster. The car swerves over to the next lane. We all crash into each other. "Mad Max" Lucas pants.

time skip

"Will!" We exclaim as Will runs over to us. "Yeah! You ready for tonight, man?" Lucas asks.

We rang the doorbell to a house, yelling, "Trick or Treat!" As we did so. "Well, aren't you cute? The little exterminators," The lady exclaimed. We looked at each other before grabbing some candy. "If I get another 3 Musketeers, I'm gonna kill myself," Lucas groans. "What's wrong with 3 Musketeers?" Dustin asks. "No one likes 3 Musketeers," I explain. "Yeah, it's just nougat," Will adds. "Whoa. "Just nougat"? Just nougat? It is top three for me," Dustin defends. "Top three?" Lucas questions. "Top three!" Dustin repeats. "Oh, God. Give me a break," I groan. "Seriously, I can just eat a whole bowl of nougat. Straight up," Dustin explained. All of a sudden, someone in a Michael Myers costume jumps out in front of us. We all scream. "Holy shit! You should have seen the look on your faces. And you? Who screams like that? You sound like a little girl. Hey, you guys coming or not? Oh, I heard we should hit up Loch Nora. That's where the rich people live, right?" Max chuckles before beginning to walk. "Yeah!" Dustin and Lucas laugh before running after her. I stayed back for a second, annoyed that she was invited.

Will filmed Dustin, Mad and Lucas.. Will and I walked behind them. "Did you agree to this?" I blurt. "What?" Will questions. "To her joining our party," I continue. "It's just for Halloween," Will explained. "You should have checked with me," I groan. "Well, they were excited. I guess I thought you'd be okay with it," Will shrugged. "She's ruining the best night of the year," I sneer before walking away.

I noticed Will was missing. I look around before spotting him. "Will! Will, what's wrong?" I pant. "I couldn't find you. Are you hurt?" I continue. "Holy shit!" Dustin exclaims as he, Lucas, and Max ran over to us. "I'm gonna get you home, okay?" I reassure him. Dustin went to help, but I pushed him away. "Mike?" Dustin called. "Keep trick-or-treating. We're bored anyway," I retort as I walk with Will.

"It's like... like I'm stuck," Will explained. "Like stuck in the Upside Down?" I ask. "No. You know how on a View-Master, when it gets, like..." Will starts. "Caught between two slides?" I ask. "Yeah. Like that. Like one side's our world, and the other... The other slide is the Upside Down. And... And there was this noise coming from everywhere. And then I saw something," Will shivered. "The Demogorgon?" I ask. "No. It was like this huge shadow in the sky. Only, it was alive. And it was coming for me," Will muttered. "Is this all real? Or is it like the doctor's say, all in your head?" I ask. "I don't know. Just... Just please don't tell the others, okay? They won't understand," Will begged. "Y/n would," I mumble. "She would?" Will asks. "Yeah. She always did. Sometimes I feel like I still see her. Like she's still around, but she never is. I don't know. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy," I admit. "Me, too," Will added. "Hey, well, if we're both going crazy, then we'll go crazy together, right?" I smile. "Yeah. Crazy together," Will chuckles.

your pov

Hopper was late again. I heard his special knock, signaling he's home. "Hey, kid. Open up, all right? Look, I know I'm late. I got candy here, all right? I got all the good stuff. Please, will you open the door? I'm gonna freeze to death out here," He begs. I unlock the door before running back to my room, continuing to watch TV. "Hey, kid. Open up, would you? I got, uh... stuck somewhere, and I lost track of time. And I'm sorry. Fifteen, would you please open the door?" Hopper asked.

I hear Hopper's footsteps getting farther away. "All right. I'm just gonna be out here by myself, eating all this candy. I'm gonna get fat. It's very unhealthy to leave me out here. Could have a heart attack or something. But, you know, you do what you want," Hopper sighed. Since El has passed away and I'm not allowed to see Mike, I've felt lonely. I've had these breathing attacks a couple of times. Hopper is oddly good at helping them stop. I sat in front of the TV, switching the channels. I kept surfing until I landed on static. I wrap the blindfold around my eyes, focusing my attention on Mike's head. Over the time being here, I learned to enter the Void, which was a big help whenever I missed Mike.

I was in the Void. It was all black except for Mike and the fort. "It's day 353. I had a bad day today. I don't know. I... I guess I wish you were here. I mean, we all do. If you're out there, just please give me a sign," Mike croaked. I crouch down to him. Almost as if he knew I was there, he looked my way. "Mike..." I whisper. "Y/n?" he asked, looking straight at me. I reach out to touch his cheek, but he pushed the antenna down before getting up and walking past me. I started to sob as he walked away.

I was out of the Void and back in my room. I sniffle as I turn off the TV, climbing in bed. I shut my eyes, going to sleep.