the vanishing of will byer's

We slowly creep into the building, walking as quietly as possible. We enter a room that must've been a kitchen. I find a basket of french fries, calling El over. We begin to eat. "Hey!" I hear the man yell. We look up from the food to see the man staring at us. I grab the basket and El's as we start to run. We almost make it to the door before the man grabs us, turning us to face him. "You think you can steal from me, boys?" he asked. I pant heavily as he stares at us. "What in the hell?"

The man made us hamburgers, which we happily ate. He gave us spare shirts. "Geez. Your parents forget to feed you?" he questioned. El ignores him, continuing to eat. "We don't," Is all I can say, considering I have the vocabulary of a seven-year-old. "Is that why you ran away? They, uh... They hurt you? You went to the hospital, you got scared, you ran off, you wound up here, is that it?" he asked. We look up at him, El remaining quiet. I shrug. "All right," The man sighed as he took our food away. "I'll give this back, all right? And you can have as much as you want. All right? Maybe even some ice cream. But ya'll gotta answer a few of my questions first, all right? We got a deal?" he asked. We didn't reply. "All right, let's start with the easy stuff. All right? My name's Benny. Benny Hammond. See? Like this. Here. I got ya'll. Don't worry. It's okay," Benny reassured us as he shook my hand. "Nice to meet you, yeah. And ya'll are?" Benny asked. I look over at El. Benny sighed before looking at our wrists. El quickly pulls away as I squirm my wrist out of his hand. "Eleven? Fifteen? What's that mean? What's it mean?" he asked. "No," El replies. "Well, I'll be damned. She speaks. "No"? No, what. All right. I guess no more food, then," Benny sighed. "Eleven," She blurts. "Yeah. What's it mean?" Benny questioned. "Eleven," El points to herself. "Me," I exclaim. "All right, then. Here you go. Take it easy, take it easy," The man laughed, handing us our food before he walked off somewhere. We continued to shove the food into our mouths. El stopped the fan before continuing to eat.

We were back in the kitchen. El and I had a tub of ice cream as Benny washed dishes. "You like that ice cream, huh?" Benny asked. We smile in response. "Smile looks good on you. You know, smile?" Benny exclaimed, smiling. Then, I heard a knock at the door. We swiftly turn around to face the door before turning back to Benny. "All right. Ya'll just sit tight. Whoever it is, I'll tell 'em to go away real quick, all right?" Benny explained as he walked to the door. We watch through the small hole in the wall as Benny spoke with someone. Out of nowhere, a gunshot goes off. Then, Benny fell to the ground. El and I jump from the table before attempting to run out of the back door. But, two men block the door. I use my powers to convince them to shoot each other before El, and I run back into the forest.

It began to rain shortly after. I heard voices. "Shh," I whisper before a light shone in our faces. Three boys stood in front of us.