madmax

Mike's pov

I sat in Y/n's tent,  trying to talk to her. Some days, I can feel her presence. It's like she's here. But, I know I'm crazy. "Mike, do you copy? Mike, do you copy?" Dustin spoke. "Yeah. Yeah, I copy," I sigh. "What the hell are you doing on this channel?" Dustin asked. "Nothing," I reply. "Well, Lucas and I have six bucks total. What's your haul?" he asked. "Shit! I don't know yet," I stammer. "What do you mean you don't know yet?" Dustin retort. "Hold on. Call Will," I demand. I run up to Nancy's room to find change. Unfortunately for me, Nancy walked in as I emptied out her piggy bank. "What the hell are you doing?" Nancy asked. "I'll pay you back!" I exclaim as I stuff my pockets with as much change as I can. "Bye!" I shout, running past her. "Mike!" Nancy yells, following me. "Hey. No running in the house," Dad scolded. I grab my bike as Nancy continued to call after me. I was on my bike by the end of the driveway. "Asshole!" Nancy screamed as I rode away.

We arrive at the arcade at the same time as Will. Will got out of the car and ran over to us.

"To slay the dragon, use the magic sword," the game spoke. "Oh, Jesus! I'm in uncharted territory here, guys," Dustin blurt. "Down! Down! Down!" we yelled at him. "I'm going! I'm going! Okay! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" Dustin yelled. "No! No! No! I hate this overpriced bullshit! Son of a bitch! Piece of shit!" Dustin groaned. "You're just not nimble enough. But you'll get there one day. But until then, Princess Daphne is still mine," Lucas bragged. "Whatever. I'm still tops on Centipede and Dig Dug," Dustin retort. "You sure about that?" Keith asked. "Sure about what?" Dustin quizzed. "You're kidding me. No, no, no," Dustin exclaimed as we followed him over to the Dig Dug machine. "751,300 points!" Will exclaimed. "That's impossible," I add. "Who is Mad Max?" Dustin asked. "Better than you," Keith joked. "Is it you?" Will asked as Dustin flipped Keith off. "You know I despise Dig Dug," Keith spoke with his mouthful. "Then who is it?" Lucas asks. "Yeah, spill it, Keith," Dustin demanded. "You want information, then I need something in return," Keith explained, looking at me. "No, no, no. No way. You're not getting a date with her!" I retort. "Mike, come on. Just get him the date," Lucas begged. "I'm not prostituting my sister!" I rationalized. "But it's for a good cause," Lucas defended. "No, don't get him the date. You know what? He's gonna spread his nasty ass rash to your whole family," Dustin seethed. "Acne isn't a rash and it isn't contagious, you prepubescent wastoid," Keith explained. "Oh, I'm a wastoid? She wouldn't wanna go on a date with you. You make, like, what? $2.50 an hour? Gonna make fun of my hair?" Dustin snapped. I look around and see Will was missing. I walk out of the arcade. I found Will. He was staring up at the sky. "Will! Are you okay?" I ask. Will turns to face me. "Yeah. I just... I needed some air," he stammered. "Come on. You're up on Dig Dug," I explain, wrapping my arm around his shoulder as we walked back into the arcade. "Let's take that top score back, huh?" I smile.

time skip

Mr. Clarke told us about the human brain. The four of us sitting in the front. "Ah, this must be our new student." Mr. Clarke exclaims. "Indeed, it is. All yours," the principal replied, dropping the girl off. "All right. Hold up there. You don't get away that easy. Come on up. Don't be shy. Dustin, drum roll. Class, please welcome, all the way from sunny California, the latest passenger to join us on our curiosity voyage, Maxine," Mr. Clarke smiled. "It's Max," the girl mumbles. "Sorry?" Mr. Clarke asks. "Nobody calls me Maxine. It's Max," She corrects. "Mad Max," Lucas whispers. We stare at Max as she took her seat in the back.

"There's no way that's Mad Max," I blurt. "Yeah. Girls don't play video games," Will continued. "And even if they did, you can't get 750,000 points on Dig Dug. I mean, it's impossible," I add. "But her name is Max," Lucas blurt. "So, what?" I ask. "So, how many Maxes do you know?" Lucas quizzed. "I don't know," I shrug. "Zero. That's how many," Lucas retort. "And she shows up at school the day after someone with her same name breaks our top score. I mean, you kidding me?" Dustin adds. "Exactly. So she's gotta be Mad Max. She's gotta be," Lucas explained. "And plus she skateboards, so she's pretty awesome," Dustin chucked. "Awesome? You haven't even spoken a word to her," I sneer. "I don't have to. I mean, look at her. Shit, I've lost the target," Dustin cursed. "Oh! There," Will exclaimed. We watch as Max walks into the building, dropping something in the trash on her way in. They run to the trash as I follow hesitantly. Lucas, Will, and I block Dustin as he digs through the garbage. "Got it. There we go," Dustin smiled as he unraveled the paper. "Stop spying on me, creeps," We read aloud. "Well, shit," Dustin sighs. "William Byers. Your mother's here," The principle called. "Bye, Will," We wave. "You guys think he's okay?" Dustin asks. "He's always weird when he has to go in," Lucas explains. "I don't know. He's quiet today," I disagree. "He's always quiet," Lucas corrects.

time skip

"After dinner, I want you to pick out your toys for the yard sale," Mom explained. "Fine," I agreed. "Two boxes' worth," she adds. "Two boxes?" I question. "You heard me," She argued. "I'm fine with you giving away a couple, but the other ones just have way too much emotional value," I snap. "Emotional value?" Mom questioned. "They're hunks of plastic, Michael," Dad explained. "You already took away my Atari." I acknowledge. "If you didn't wanna lose more toys, you shouldn't have stolen from Nancy," Mom explained. "I didn't steal. I borrowed," I defend. "Oh, and you didn't curse out Mr. Kowalski last week either, right? Or plagiarize that essay? Or graffiti the bathroom stall?" Mom continues. "Everyone graffitis the bathroom stall," I groan. "So if your friend jumps off a cliff, you're gonna jump, too?" Dad asks. I roll my eyes. "Look, we know you've had a hard year. But we've been patient. This isn't strike one. This isn't even strike three," Mom explains. "This is strike 20. You're on the bench. And if it'd been my coach, you'd be lucky to still be on the team," Dad adds. I scrunch up my face in annoyance and confusion, "Two boxes. Two," Mom demands. I aggressively stab my fork into my food.

As I packed up the boxes. I found Rory, remembering the time I showed him to Y/n and El. I put Rory in the keep pile, not wanting to get rid of him yet. I sigh, looking at the millennium falcon. I remember the time Dustin tried to force El to make it fly. I put it in the keep pile. I look over at the fort before walking over to it. "Y/n, are you there? Y/n?" I ask, waiting for a response. "It's me. It's Mike. It's day 352, 7:40 p.m. I'm still here. If you're out there, say something," I continue. I waited for a while but got nothing. "I'm so stupid," I mumble, pushing the antenna down. I get up, beginning to walk away."Mike? Mike?" I hear a distorted voice call out. "Hello, Y/n, is that you?" I ask. "Yeah, it's me, Dustin. What're you doing on this channel again? I've been trying to reach you all day. We were right. Max is Mad Max," He babbled. I groan. "Yeah, I'm busy," I retort, pushing the antenna down once again.

your pov

I sat in my room, waiting for Hopper to come home. After a whole year, I still have no clue how I know Hopper. Hopper said I couldn't leave the cabin for everyone's safety. "Hey, what'd we talk about?" Hopper called out. "No signal," I yell. "What?" Hop questioned. "No signal. It's 8-1-5. You're late," I explain. "Yeah, I lost track of time. I'll signal next time, all right? Uh, and it's 8:15. It's not 8-1-5," Hopper corrected as I sit down at the table. "Eight-fifteen," I repeat. "Now, what did we talk about? Dinner first, then dessert. Always. That's a rule. Yeah?" Hopper asked. "Okay" I nod. Hopper and I open are dinner and begin to eat.