Chapter 17 [Masquerade]

My roommate is the world biggest jerk17

Chapter 17 [Masquerade]

I lost track of time, it was already almost the end of October.

The autumn brought color to the leaves, painting the otherwise green canvas a brilliant shade of warm reddish gold. Though most of the trees were nearly barren now, stripped of its leaves that had fallen, piling up on the ground, and rain now had came more often, I had always enjoyed the fall. I love the glorious color and I love the rain too.

I stared at the orange colored flayer that was pinned on the notice board of the class. The Halloween party, apparently that was held every year was approaching. It was held every year in the school giant hall on Halloween night and every student was invited.

A costume masquerade party, of course.

“What are you gonna go as?” Mary Sue came and hugged me from behind. I chuckled.

“I don’t know maybe I won’t even go…” I said, thinking about Halloween night. I didn’t have any particular Halloween traditions save for the times when I was a toddler and Loraine, Addy and I would go trick or treating together. Usually I would just watch movies with mom with all the lights off or go to random parties organized by friends from my old school.

“Do you already have plans?” she inquired. I shook my head. Actually I had nothing planned; Addy and Loraine will be away for a few days for a class trip. Aiden was out of the country.

“I’m free.” it was kind of sad to have nothing holding me back. I should have plans on a fun night like Halloween, even mom was going to a party a colleague from work was hosting. Really there was nothing stopping me. I guess that I was staying home and handing out candies for kids.

“Josh and I are going. Come with us!” Mary Sue urged, I have a a non committal shrug.

 “I guess shopping for costumes will be out now, Halloween is almost here and I’m sure all the good ones are sold out.” I began reasoning with myself. “Of course I can make something but I don’t think I can with my current workload…”

Suddenly Mary Sue squealed. “I know what to do!” she spun me around and big bright eyes jumped at me. I had never seen so her excited before, save for the time when I confirmed the double date with her. Aiden and I, Josh and her went to a small café and did a little bit shopping that day.

“After school, you’re coming to my house okay?” she exclaimed. Seeing her so excited got me smiling. To be honest I didn’t feel like doing anything and that fact had nothing to do with Aiden not calling me. But it kind of stung anyway. I should seriously teach that boy some tact; if he was going to be out of the country he should at least told his friends instead of letting her find out through Ryui when he failed to show up at school for a couple of days.

But that shouldn’t stop me from having fun right? I was determined!

“Sure, why not.”

Right after school as promised, I followed Mary Sue home and Josh and Alex tagged along too. Her home was big. It was a triple storey house with that summer palace feel to it with a great stretch pool in the backyard. We went straight to a room upstairs.

“This is my sister’s room.” she said as she seated the boys and took my hand to the front of an adjoining door in the room. I suppose that this was the closet. But once she thrown the double doors open, my jaw dropped to the ground.

“And this is where she kept her costumes.’ She introduced, as I took in the room that as big as my room back at home but filled with costumes hanging from rails.