Chapter 8 (edited)

Chapter 8 [Night Stroll]

It was late as I glanced at the clock on the wall of the room. It was half past nine in the evening. There were only a few students that remained, head bowed, hands working quickly yet carefully and glued to the sewing machine. Everybody was frantic to finish their midterm project; a project which would contribute a margin of twenty percent in the final exam. So, it was no playing matter. It had to be submitted in two days and my dress was about seventy percent finished.

But it was already nearing ten and I hadn’t had dinner. My empty stomach grumbled, not happy with this sudden ‘no dinner’ development.

“Whoa, down girl.” Whispered a smirking Alex who had been working to my left. I grinned, embarrassed.

“You heard that?”

“Fay, I think the whole class heard that one. You need to eat or you’re gonna drop dead. I mean it.”

“Stop talking and resume working, Stockholm.” I reminded him.

“Wrong answer. Now get up.”

“I’m working here.”

“I mean it, Fay. We’re getting dinner. And don’t think I don’t know that you’ve only had crackers for lunch.” Alex’s voice took a dangerous turn. I looked up.

“Who told you that?”

“I’m psychic.” He smirked.

“Mary Sue told you, didn’t she? Ugh, that little telltale!”

“Now get up, we’re going to have dinner.” He said, again getting up on his feet and stuffing his project in a bag.

“But I’m no where finished, I can’t eat now.”

 Despite my best efforts, Alex was not taking no for an answer. Fifteen minutes later, we found ourselves stuffing our face with steaming hot spaghetti at a small café just ten minutes away from my house. It was a place I’d been to so many times and the spaghetti there was really good. 

“You never cease to amaze me, Stockholm.” I said before taking a gulp from my tall glass of a cherry flavored drink.

“In what way?” his brow quirked, head tilting just slightly, curious of my remark.

“I really don’t expect you to know about this place.” I answered simply. At this, Alex smiled.

“Are you kidding me, this is the best spaghetti place I know.” he stabbed a meatball with his fork and began eating it. I guessed it was born out of training and proper etiquette but despite his apparent hunger, Alex still managed to eat in a meticulous way, neat and quick. Unlike most men I had the misfortune to encounter in my life thus far.