Chapter 34 [To Be, Or Not To Be?]

dedicated to my real life roommate - thank you for editing this one bro! 

My Roommate is the world biggest jerk34

Chapter 34 [To Be, or Not To Be?]

“Are you sure you’re okay?” thin lines appeared on Ryui’s forehead caused me to shove away my burdening problem and smiled for him. Even if I was given the ultimate ultimatum by my mother in law, it doesn’t mean that the weight of it had to be shared. Not even if the weight of it were crushing my heart. Plus it was crucial for me to keep it to myself because if Ryui know, Aiden will figure out soon enough. And I am a bad liar as it is.

The car halted in front of the tall double doors of the castle. Ryui killed the engine and after the silent calm I have had during the trip back to Voltaire, I managed to produce a faint smile for my good friend.

“I’m perfectly all right.” I said, laying my hand on his arm.

“What did she want from you anyways?” he prodded. Instinctively I held onto my purse tighter than before. It was ridiculous of course, but I was afraid that Ryui would discover the letter from St. Martins. I held onto the clasp of the purse with a shaky hand. It was not that the letter would force itself out and paraded in front of Ryui, I knew that.

But I was not taking any chances.

“She asked… um… you know, girl stuff.” I stuttered and looked down at my lap while I lied. Ryui knew that of course, because he chuckled.

“Girl stuff, really Fay?” I bit my lips and nodded timidly, still not looking up. “You’re a bad liar little duchess. Please tell me she didn’t hurt you?”

I shook my head vigorously. “No, of course she didn’t hurt me. She wouldn’t.” I argued and Ryui tipped my chin with his hand forcing me to meet his silvery grey gaze.

“I don’t mean physically. Is there any heart shattered after you walked out of that door?” with his finger still holding my chin I shook my head slowly. Ryui’s gaze was severe and somber dimming the magnificent light of his stunning pair of eyes.

“No, she didn’t hurt me.” I said. Well, it was not really a lie. All she did was open my eyes to what I was in for a long haul. What I was going to miss, what I was incapable of doing and what I was forced to submit to.

How I was not going to live the life I had planned for me.

Again, my hold on my purse tightened as I reminded myself that, the door was not closed. At least, not yet.

I needed time to think.

“She did say hurtful things but what she said was true. She gave me the ‘future queen’ lecture thats all.” If I was going to get away from Ryui’s careful eyes I needed to tell him what he wanted to hear, but with a certain amount of discretion. “But please, don’t tell Aiden. I don’t want him to worry, or tell off him mom just because she give me the talk.”

“Fay, I needed to…” he began to argue but fell silent when I shook my head conclusively.

“She has every right to do so. I don’t exactly know what I was in for when I married Aiden. If it were me, I won’t trust the future of my country into the hands of a girl who knows nothing as well. But please Ryui, just don’t tell Aiden about this.” I reasoned and finally he nodded. “Promise?”

“Yeah, I promise.”  Satisfied, I smiled and leaned to give Ryui a peck on the cheek. Then I opened the door but before I walked away I poked my head back into the car.