Chapter 23

June 2005

The next few days went quickly. They went so quickly that they almost immediately faded from my memory. The removal, funeral, everyone’s faces were just blurs now. One face stood out from all. Alex. I’d noticed him at everything, even though he didn’t come to shake my hand at first it was nice to know he was there. I hadn’t slept since and at this point I felt like my brain was about to burst out of my skull. It was one of my last days at the Bakers house and I still didn’t know where I was going but honestly I didn’t care anymore. I was worried about how close this new family was to my old house. Even though I wouldn’t live with them anymore I was still going to visit them as often as I could. Nothing mattered to me more than being with them now. They needed me and I needed them. Even though we weren’t an actual family, they always would be in my heart. I continued packing my last few things into the suitcase I’d brought them in. It was something I always hated – packing. After I’d taken down all my posters (which was effort) I decided it was about time I found out who my new family would be. I wanted to know did I already know them, did I like them. I made my way downstairs. The doorbell rang as I passed the door. People, ew. I opened the door to be attacked by a Barakat, then another. Jack and Joyce both had me wrapped in their arms giving no indication of letting me go.

“Um, hello?” I giggled slightly. I’d seen them at the funeral – Jack had spent his whole time with me comforting me and just holding my hand like he was protecting me. Even his brother and sister came back to go to the funeral.

“Hi baby.” They both pulled away and Joyce kissed my forehead. Jack squeezed me tightly before letting me go still not saying anything.

“Not that I’m complaining but what are you guys doing here?” I asked.

“Visit,” Joyce said quickly “Now pet, where are Caroline and Jim?”

“I was just going to look for them myself, the kitchen I guess.” I shrugged leading them into the kitchen. In the kitchen there seemed to be a heated discussion going on.

“We’ve got visitors!” I announced. Both heads snapped around to look at us. Jack came over and stood beside me, wrapping his arm around my waist for support.

“Ah! Joyce, exactly who I was looking for!” Caroline smiled coming over to hug Joyce. Since when were they friends? Since when did Caroline hug people? I decided to ignore it and sat down at the table with everyone else.

“Tea? Coffee?” I offered. I boiled the kettle and tried to hear the conversation that was going on. I brought over the steaming cups and sat down to join he conversation. The conversational topic of politics and weather let me completely zone out to my own world of hurt and misery.

“Isabel?” someone called bringing me back to earth. I looked around to noticed everyone’s eyes focused on me.

“Yeah?” I asked slightly worried.

“Well we were just wondering-” Joyce started but Jack in a fit of excitement finished her sentence.

“Izzy, how does it feel to finally be a Barakat?” Jack asked with the biggest grin on his face.

I sat for moments in total silence. I wasn’t even sure I heard it right, and if I did was I understanding it right? All eyes were on me again. I felt violated. My breathing picked up pace with my heart. I turned to face Jack. His eyes glimmered  with excitement and happiness. For some reason I was afraid to speak.

“Are you not happy about it?” Jack’s face suddenly dropped because of my response.

“Y-you mean tha-at you are going to be my foster family?” my eyes widened. Jack nodded sheepishly.