Chapter 18

May 2005

The corridor seemed to go on forever, like it didn’t want me to reach the end. I didn’t realize how fast I was walking till Jack came up behind me.
“Woah Miller, slow down.” He panted. Miller, that stung. He quickly realized what he said and tried to keep in pace with my step. I let what he said slip past me, I had more important things on my mind now.
“Jack, where the fuck is this room?” I growled in frustration. Storming down the hall picking up my pace again.
“Geez Izzy, it’s room 269.” He said. I knew he couldn’t hold it, I waited for it. Then it came. He erupted with laughter. “Sixty-nine!” he laughed. I rolled my eyes and continued walking. His laughter died down now.
“266. . . 267. . . 268. . . Yes 269!” I squealed. I heard muffled laughter behind me. I looked back at Jack who was trying not to explode because of his immaturity. I couldn’t help but smile at my best friend. He almost looked in pain trying to hold in the laughter. Jack, let me in sweetie, or you’ll never get a chance to experience a sixty nine.” I gritted through my teeth.
“Izzy, before you go in, just let me warn you; he isn’t himself and you know that. Don’t take anything to heart and certainly do not let him hurt you.” His tone had totally changed now. I nodded, eager to talk things out with Alex. He opened the door of their room.
“Lex?” Jack called into what seemed like an empty room.
“In my room dickhead.” He called back. The sound of his voice gave me shivers. I didn’t know was it out of anger that he’d lied to me or some type of excitement. Jack gestured towards Alex’s bedroom door. He walked to the small kitchen area and grabbed a slice of pizza from the fridge.
“I’m going to go into Zack and Rian’s room, give you some privacy. Call me if you need anything. He quickly kissed my cheek and left.

I paused outside the door for a moment, every emotion flushed through my head at once. I didn’t like these feelings all coming back. I took a breath and knocked.
“Come in,” was all he said. I noticed he continued talking. He laughed, wow  missed his laugh. I slowly opened the door, my hand shaking. He was lying down on the bed, one hand behind his head the other holding his cell to his ear. His face that was once full of laughter dropped almost immediately. He blinked several times.
“Hey, um I have company right now. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” He paused waiting for a response. “Love you too.” He said quickly before disconnecting the call. His eyes nervously flickered up to mine, then down at his hands. I thought I could handle it, obviously not. I turned on my heal to walk out the door, tears were getting ready to fall.
“Wait, Isabel.” He called. I turned my head to look back at him. He was sitting upright on the bed now.
“Busy huh?” I spat. Everything Jack had told me instantly slipped my mind. I was hurt and I wanted him to know it.
“Isabel,” he got up off the bed and wrapped his arms around my waist. I pulled back in anger. Great, the tears came now. He looked hurt now. “Isabel, the last thing I wanted to do was make you cry, let alone hurt you.” His arms pulled me closer to him again, I rested my head on his chest leaving big tear stains on his hoodie. “Come here,” he said softly guiding me to the bed. He sat me down next to him, enveloping me in an embrace again. “We need to talk, huh?” he whispered in my ear. I nodded slowly.
“Alex, Jack told me about you lately. Why?” I sniffed, trying to calm down. He looked down at the floor and shrugged.
“What did he tell you?” he asked.
“That you’ve been depressed. He guessed it was my stress on top of your own. I don’t even know, you tell me please.” I blinked releasing the last tear for now.
“Depressed? Is that what he thinks? Wow. I didn’t know that. What does everyone else think?” he looked genuinely shocked.
“The same.”
“Oh.” He paused to think.
“Alex?” I looked up to let our eyes meet. His eyes were sparkling, as if there were tears ready to fall. But no, he was Alex Gaskarth. There was no way he would allow that. He released me from the hug.
“Isabel, you know from when you left, I was upset. Like really upset, I didn’t get to say goodbye to my girlfriend. Izzy, I was fucking miserable after you. I don’t know, it sounds cheesy but I didn’t feel right. Like there was a part of me missing.” He laughed gently to himself. “I guess I got progressively more annoyed at myself for not being there for you, and depressed because well I didn’t get to see your beautiful face anymore.” He looked down and smiled, knowing I was blushing. “Then of course I realized you were hurting yourself and I felt responsible for not being able to help you again and-” I cut him off. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him fiercely. I wasn’t holding back now. I could feel that he was surprised at my spontaneous actions. He suddenly began to respond. His hands were on my back now, pulling me towards him. I pulled away from him, gasping for breath.
“Alex, don’t ever think my problems were your fault. You’re not superman either, you can’t always protect me.” I whispered. He wrinkled up his face. “What?”  I giggled.
“Batman’s way better.” He said making me laugh. He pulled me up onto his lap and I wrapped my legs around his waist, my arms were clasped around his neck. His hands were gently sitting on my hips.
“Well, I’m certainly not superman, but for you I’d try to be.” He whispered. I threw my head back and groaned. “What?” he laughed.
“Cheeeeeesy!” I groaned. We both laughed. He reconnected our lips, laying me down on my back now.  He was kissing my neck now, leaving hickeys everywhere. I moaned quietly.
“I missed you.” He whispered in my ear, his cool breath making me shiver.
“I missed you too.”