Chapter 9 - Tham Retes

“Oh thank the Face of  Boe you’ve found me!” Said the voice over the intercom. “This is Tham Retes, My ship has been destroyed and I’ve been trying to reach someone, anyone, for ages!” The man crackled over the intercom.

“This is Jenny, Captain of the ship David. I’ll get you tractored in fifteen minutes, hang tight!” Jenny’s hands worked the switches on her panel and navigated her ship next to the pod. It was badly damaged and leaking gases. The tractor beams latched onto the ship and pulled it in.

“I detect no debris from the ship” Foreman said suspiciously.

“Shush, he needs our help. You are one to talk for someone who was adrift.” She chided.

Jenny and Foreman moved to the back cargo bay. She was leary, and had a sidearm attached to her belt. She instructed Foreman to stun if he must fire. He was not enthusiastic about having to turn down the power of his death ray.

The ship was a sphere, six feet across. Big enough to hold one person. Gas erupted from the damaged holes and a loud hiss erupted from the front panels. The ship opened like a clam shell, revealing a man in the center of the seat. Blood was covering his face, and his hand looked twisted

She rushed over and grabbed his good arm. The man whom she assumed was Tham Retes let out a groan as she attempted to hoist him out of the ship, but to no avail.

“Foreman, drop gravity 80 percent.” She shouted. Foreman’s eyestalk nodded, and she felt weightlessness. It was enough to pull him out of the ship and maneuver him to her quarters. She really needs to add a few rooms. Maybe she can pop in on her father one day and have him help her.

“Oh… what angel has fallen from the stars and arrested my soul from purgatory?” Tham said. His eyes fluttered, clear signs of delusion. He must be deluded spouting crap like that.

“Shush, you’re hurt, not dead” She said, and to make the point, pulled one of his dislocated fingers. A loud pop could be heard as the man screamed in pain. She retrieved a finger splint from the first aid box Foreman brought her and wrapped it. Then she repeated the process on the other three fingers.

“More.. like… OUCH! a… demon spawn!” Tham screamed. “Just kill me and get it over with!”

“Not yet…” Jenny said cooly. She maneuvered his left arm, propped her foot on his ribs and yanked as hard as she could. She felt the dislocated shoulder set, and the screaming protests stopped. The arm in her hand was limp, and she let it go. It floated gently down where she tucked the passenger in. Tham Retes was out cold, passed out from the pain of her field dressings. She was never taught  good bedside manners, but he’s alive, and in a stable condition.

Foreman restored the gravity while she sat next to Tham and cleaned the blood off his face. She wondered whose it was, since there were no open wounds. She gazed at his sleeping face, and her hearts stirred. The man struck something inside her, a deep recognition. His face was strong, and jet black hair. There was a thin and carefully groomed goatee that suited him well. His hands were covered in scars from working a very taxing job.

She stayed with him through the night. She would occasionally see Foreman roll across the hall, look in and roll off to do whatever he does at night. She didn’t know when she drifted off to sleep.

***

“DIE YOU HEAPING PILE OF BOLTS!” Screamed a familiar voice.

“EXTERMINATE!” Screamed Foreman.

Jenny bolted awake, Her left arm was numb having fallen asleep holding her head up. Tham was gone, and had wrapped his blanket around her… that was sweet!