Chapter 8 - Kaalann

Chapter 8 - Kaalann

It had been only a day since Jenny lead the convoy from the Thal city. They arrived in Dal just before dusk and was met with wide open arms and many praises sung in their honor. The leaders gave her a tour of the city, Foreman leading behind her. He seemed fascinated with every aspect of his ancestral home. She was proud of him, as he didn’t utter a single ‘exterminate’ nor cause any problems. He was on his best behavior. She did wonder if it was more the reverence of being here that explained his behavior.

After the tour and the feast held in their honor, the city elders issued Foreman and her a room in the main building. It was spacious, with one bed and a window overlooking a garden. The architecture was rounded, there seemed to be no sharp corners and a few simple paintings of the landscapes of Skaro.

Foreman took to the window and stared out of it, looking everywhere his eyestalk could see. Jenny took a long needed nap. Her dreams were haunted with visions of pasts and futures. It was too much for her to make out and understand.

She sat upright, drenched in sweat. It had only been a few hours. Jenny grumbled, took a shower, and dressed in some garments she was given by some artisans during her tour. She walked back to a small desk and picked up a notepad and pencil, and wrote one word: Dalek.

Jenny sat in her room with a notepad, writing down page after page of what she could remember about this time. She would refer back to the mind map of the first page, a web of ideas interlinked two to six times. It was too much... too confusing. She screamed in frustration, throwing the notebook, nearly missing Foreman. The projectile slammed a mere foot away from where Foreman has been looking out the window.

“Why are you angered?” Foreman asked, looking down at the notepad. His newly repaired plunger retrieved the pad. He rolled over to Jenny and gave it back to her.

“I’m trying to write down the events that are going to happen. It’s so convoluted thanks to the Time War and my father’s meddling that my brain is spinning! Darvos dies, or he doesn’t die. There’s the Dals or the Kaleds… Kaalan City, where we are, was destroyed, but it wasn’t.

“Emperor Dalek fired upon and almost killed Darvos, claiming rulership. Davros was in stasis. Then we have the whole renegade faction of Daleks.” Jenny paused. “What can you tell me about the renegades?”

Foreman was quiet. His eyestalk lowered and he rolled back and forth.

“No one... not even the Doctor knows…” Foreman said, it was almost choked out.

“Knows what Foreman?” Jenny asked. Foreman looked around, rolled to the open window and scanned somewhere with his eyestalk, and rolled to the front door. She heard the latch secure. After a few more minutes of checking corners he seemed satisfied no one was listening. Foreman rolled in close and she was surprised to know the Daleks can whisper! Foreman spoke in a very hushed tone she could barely hear.

“Kaalann, home of the Dals are the Renegades. The Kaleds reside in Mensvat Esc-Dalek. The Kaleds are Dal… deserters. Darvos secretly tested Dalek technology on Dals before presenting the findings to the Kaled science community.. Very crude static electric base technology. Daleks knew of no other Daleks. The doctor destroyed most of them with his trick with the Thals. Few who remained were saved by the other Daleks, once they re-discovered Kaalann. The city was believed to have been… exterminated.” Foreman recounted in his mechanical whisper. “I… am descended from Kaalan. I am part of the renegade faction. I wished the opportunity to exterminate Davros and the Dalek Emperor, to prove Kaalan are true Daleks.”

Jenny was in shock. Could this explain why Foreman was so different? If he was descended from the older mutated Dals, then the actual humanity may not have been tampered by Davros, but only suppressed. There was a knock on the door, Jenny’s train of thought was de-railed.