Chapter 2 - The Prodigal Dalek

Jenny slept and dreamed of times long past. She could see through the eyes of her father’s past lives and all the knowledge of the Time Lords that has been past down since their creation. She smiled to herself, knowing his new face, the older and wiser one. Not the silly man in a bow tie, or the arrogant one who made her and claimed the name Victorious for a time.. His new face, carried a sadness about it, and a heavy weight. There was a sense that he could go down a very dark path if there was no one to guide him into the light. She hoped his current companion was up for the challenge. She was indeed a mystery.

As Jenny slowly drifted awake, she smiled to herself about her nocturnal musings and compared her life to the one she’s been pulled from. What is her reason? Her father one said he had no reason, he was just a mad man with a box. Was she the same? She was indeed content with her life, but did feel an emptiness around her. Then there was Foreman.She chuckled to herself. Does the machine count as a companion? Is she following in her father’s footsteps by saving the Dalek?

“Jenny.” a mechanical tone woke her from her slumber. She thought of six different ways to dismantle and tear apart the mechanical tank in front of her when it continued to speak.“You are not exterminated. Why do you lay as such? My sensors can detect your life signs. Are you trying to trick… Foreman?”

She opened her eyes and a giant eyestalk was mere inches from her face. That subconscious fear and hatred kicked in momentarily and almost stopped both her hearts. She let out a scream, and instinctively jerked her foot up, connecting with the eyestalk and sending it spinning to the opposite side of the oval shaped monstrosity.

“You scared the crap out of me!” she screamed. The eyestalk rotated back to face her, moved up and down for a moment, as if to shrug. and pulled back almost a foot, out of striking range. The Dalek was learning.

“I am a Dalek, I instill fear amongst the stars. It is to be expected.” Was that a smug tone Foreman gave her?

“How did you get into my room?” Jenny interrogated.

“Through the door.” Dalek Foreman replied with an obvious matter of fact tone. The sheer gal he had set her teeth on edge

“It was locked…” Jenny said cooly. Having a Dalek on board apparently meant no sleep.

“I unlocked it. A simple task. While you were attempting subterfuge of death, I also performed upgrades on your ship.” Dalek Foreman said. It turned the eyestalk side to side, as if it was pleased with itself.

“What did you do to my David!?” Jenny screamed. What was this devious metal creature plotting?

“Upgraded weapons capabilities, Upgraded shield capabilities, Upgraded engine capabilities. Ship designation: David, is now capable of combat. Previous configuration could not outrun the Face of Boe in a bipedal contest of speed.”

Jenny was dumbfounded by the reply, she couldn’t help but burst out laughing. “Oh my god! David couldn’t outrun the Face of Boe in a footrace? Oh, that’s a good one! Who knew Daleks had a sense of humor?” She should be too mad at the metallic abomination. If he had altered her ship to optimize it, Foreman seemed like he was actually trying to help, something Daleks were not known for, and it was probably in just as uncomfortable situation as she was. It could be another evil Dalek plot… or her father’s paranoia was creeping into her mind again.

“I do not understand the sounds you make.” Dalek Foreman replied, he backed up slightly, and seemed agitated. The sheer pitifulness of the act almost made Jenny’s heart break. Daleks were an unrelenting death machine, but if they’re not trying to kill you, they almost seem like a small child who’s confused about the world around them and just really.. really scared.