Chapter 17 - The Decision

Jenny stirred her chai tea and looked up at the time. Four past three. She wondered if River got her message, as her mother was quite punctual… even though this was her second visit.

“I’m here! I’m here!” Came a shout from behind her. Jenny looked to the voice and saw River Song holding a large arm bag, wearing a floral print dress and a brown overcoat. “Your father would not shut up… Oh his sweet boyish face and brown hair…”

“Is Dad…?” Jenny asked, but River shook her head no.

“Before your time… it would complicate things, sadly.” River huffed and sat down across from her.

They were in a tiny cafe in Italy, the same one she met her mother last time. The waiter came by and took River’s order and left. River pulled out a blue journal and flipped through some pages absently.

“It seems like we’re where we should be… That’s quite unusual, at least for our ilk.” River said and shrugged.

“What do you mean by that?” Jenny asked taking a sip of her drink.

“Well… I’ve met you already… and you’ve met me… and we’re both one and one. Usually, perceptions go in different directions and such.” River said and began to grin ear to ear. “How exciting! I don’t know what you’re going to talk to me about! Oh dear, this is somewhat nerve racking. I’m usually more prepared. How about I leave and come back after it’s happened, so I can give you some better motherly advice?” River said, looking around as if expecting someone to show up, only to look disappointed. “Oh… I guess I didn’t.”

“I… really need someone to talk to.” Jenny said, grabbing her distracted mother’s hand. River took Jenny’s hand with her spare one and squeezed it, giving her a reassuring smile.

“Anything you need, love” River said.

“I don’t really know how to even start… so much has happened.” Jenny said.

“Well, as strange as it is coming from me, lets start at the beginning.” River said.

Jenny recounted everything to her. The months of being abducted by The Master, the regeneration of the Daleks, and even about her latest surprise. River never interrupted, and quietly listened, never letting go of Jenny’s hand.

Jenny was surprised how much better she felt, now that she was able to talk to someone about it.

“Well, that is a lot to take in… and we’re sure it’s…” River said.

“yes… Catlin was quite sure.” Jenny interrupted. “Just the thought of him being… inside me…”

“What do you want to do?” River asked, Jenny thought there was more to her tone. Something sharp and warning.

“My first instinct is to get rid of it. The Master is pure evil.” Jenny said.

“Yes, we both know the type of man he is.” River said cooly. “You and I both know the probabilities of the merger of two Gallifreyans. A child is not one to be taken lightly, as the ripples of a Time Lord birth will send shockwaves everywhere. I won’t be one to tell you what to do, just… understand a child is not their parents. I grew up without a mother, and so have you… I wish we could break this curse of ours.” River said sadly. She took a deep breath and blew it out, put on a big smile and leaned on the table with her elbows, holding her head up with her palms.

“So, tell me more about this man you have now… Foreman?” River grinned. Jenny smiled, her mother was good at changing the subject.

“Well, he’s a Dalek, like we said earlier, but now he’s a Dal. Right now, he’s off liberating his people.” Jenny said. She smiled at the thought of Foreman’s words to her in the recovery room. She left him soon after, feeling guilty that she didn’t say it back. Her mind was swimming with everything that had happened to her, and just didn’t know how to react.