Chapter 13 - Skaro Revisited

Weeks passed. Jenny was tended to by Foreman the best he could. She was nauseous, riddled with nightmares. Every creak and sound of the ship made her jump. She would sit for hours in the pilot’s seat, staring at the console and into the black abyss. She wanted to die. 

“How can you live like this?” Jenny asked Foreman with a croak. She heard him approach behind her as quietly as he could. 

“Live like what?” Foreman replied. 

“I’m sure you felt like this, for betraying the other Daleks. This empty… sinking feeling. I feel dirty, I can’t get Tham’s touch off of me! Was it like this when I made you come? You wanted to die for freeing me, and I forced you onto the ship with me. I thought I was saving you… oh, you must despise me…” 

“Yes… at first” Foreman said. “I didn’t understand… new emotions? All I know is anger… fear… hate… I knew of kindness… love… compassion but never… felt?. I have secretly read about them at great risk to myself. I fight… every day not to… fall back. If I ever hurt Jenny…” 

Jenny smiled to herself and wiped away her tears. It was time to get back to business at hand. She was going to help Foreman!

“Ok, lets go.” Jenny said, and flipped some switches. 

“Go where?” Foreman asked. 

“Where it all started.” Jenny said with a smile. She flipped the switches and the ship faded into the time streams. 

***

Planet Skaro shone like a jewel, there were no signs of war, the air was clean and free of industrial waste, It was pristine and beautiful. Foreman was beside her, and looked at his untouched homeworld. Jenny gave the metal chassis a pat, and flipped a few switches. 

“You added some cloaking tech on here right?” Jenny asked. 

“Affirmative,” Foreman paused. “We’re cloaked from all forms of radiation. Visible light as well.” 

“Lets go orbit the planet a few times and look for a place to…” 

“I wish to go to Dal.” Foreman interrupted. “I… want to see my people, their art… music… dance… I want to see Dals before… this.” Foreman moved his plunger, to indicate himself.  

“Is that really a good idea?” Jenny asked, but she knew the answer. She’d do whatever Foreman asks. He saved her from Tham. Jenny felt sick just thinking about him, and diverted her thoughts on locating the capital city of the Dals. 

***

They landed just on the outskirts of the city. She worried about being attacked again, but Foreman didn’t fly off the handle this time. If she was any judge of his personality, he seemed to be in a more somber attitude. 

“So… how are we going to explain you? Want to just stay here and I’ll go in and get the sample?

“It doesn’t matter what you say about me… I am never leaving your side.” Foreman said and activated the bay doors. he rolled out into the open air and spun the dome in a full 360 degrees. “No hostiles detected.” 

“Hey Fore’ turn down your lasers, we are in your past, so if you shoot someone it may cause you not to exist.” Jenny said. Foreman trained his eyestalk on her and rolled out of view. She grabbed the DNA scanner Sister Katlin gave her, attached her sidearm and ran after him. 

***

The hike to the city was a good hour through dense foliage. They landed in a clearing in the forest just outside Dal