Chapter 18 - Home

“Are you sure about this?” Foreman asked as he landed the shuttle. “Why… now? It’s so… primitive?”

“1950’s England is perfect. We’ve just passed World War 2, and there’s going to be huge leaps in technology in the next fifty years. And besides, I like humans.” Jenny said with a smile.

“You do… or your father?” Foreman quipped. Jenny slugged Foreman in the arm and shot him a warning look.

“Ok, do you remember everything?” Jenny asked nervously and looked at her clothes. She wore a pink floral dress and a yellow scarf in her hair. Foreman was dressed in a black wool suit and tie with his trademark Fedora. Foreman kept pulling at his neck and fidgeting.

“Yes… I remember, How do humans wear this? I feel like I am back in my tank.” Foreman complained.

“Hey, I don’t feel too comfortable either, but this is the fashion of the time. I think the whole dress situation is barbaric, but we are doing this for our child and we will raise him or her in a safe and well mannered society.” Jenny lectured.

“And… you trust these humans to deliver said child?” Foreman retorted.

“No… We’ll have Catlin come to do a home delivery.” Jenny said. “We’ve already talked about it, and she has some hologram technology that will allow her to look human enough to come and visit.”

“Sounds like you have everything planned.” Foreman said with a chuckle. “The rough and tumble Jenny, who put a Dalek in the corner, is now going to play human.”

“Why is it so bad?” Jenny asked. “I just want some peace. When I was cloned, all I knew was to fight and kill in that damned war. When my father ended the conflict, I had no place in this universe. I hid inside David for who knows how long. Then I met you. I found out that I was alone, and I didn’t like it. I don’t want to be alone anymore. I want to be surrounded by friends and family. I want that for our child. I want her away from all of this.”

“You could take it to Gallifrey, before the time war. It could attend the Academy.” Foreman said. “Our child will be a Time Lord.”

“Maybe someday. I won’t deny our baby’s heritage, but there’s plenty of time for that.” Jenny said. She smacked Foreman’s arm. “Stop calling our baby ‘it’!”

“You won’t have Catlin tell us what it will be, so I have no other way to say it.” Foreman said, rubbing his arm.

“Just say our baby.” Jenny smiled. “I can’t hear it enough, especially from you.” Jenny’s smile faded slightly. Looking at her watch, she shot up and grabbed her handbag. “We’re running late! Hurry!”

***

Jenny and Foreman held hands and looked around the empty flat. There were dark wood floors throughout the space. It had a large kitchen, ice box, stove, and all the amenities one would need to start a life. With two bedrooms and two bathrooms, Jenny loved that it felt about the size of David, not counting the cargo bay.

“And the park is just around the corner?” Jenny asked the landlord.

“Yes, and the schools are quite good.” The elderly man said. “Unless you’ll want your child to attend a private one.”

“Why… this?” Foreman asked, looking around the living room. “It’s small. We can easily afford an estate… with some land and domesticated companion life forms...er..animals.”

Jenny smiled and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze.

“I… want to be close to people. The neighbors seem nice, and the thought of a huge place like that feels… suffocating and isolated. I don’t want that for our child. I want to hear her laughing and playing with her mates. I want sleep overs, and cookies, and shopping, and all the good stuff moms do.” Jenny said, rubbing her belly. It was barely noticeable, but she could feel the life growing inside her.