Chapter 15

[15]

Fran

I closed the door behind Harper and quickly kissed her on the cheek before I rushed back into the kitchen and didn’t need the petty arguing.

“Mommy, Dee.”

“Franchesca, it seems you failed to inform me that she was going to be here.” Desiree said between clenched teeth.

My mother scoffed. “Nobody want to see you chile—“ She sucked her teeth.

“Mommy!”

“What? I only say what on my mind.”

“I’m just going to ignore ‘IT’.” Desiree turning to Harper. “Why we here Harper?”

“I think Franchesca is going to tell you that.” Harper said, taking off her jacket.

“Okay, can we all take a seat? I’ve missed you guys so much! I like your hair Dee-Dee.”

“Girl if you don’t stop beating round’ the bush…” Desiree snapped.

“Okay, now listen when I tell you guys this, I want you to be happy for me. Sincerely happy for me. I don’t want you to judge me, or tell me what to do. I want you to be open-minded and understand that the decision I have made has made me really happy these past days.”

Desiree leaned into me and shook her head. “Oh shit.. You done got knocked up.”

I laughed. “No! Will everybody stop saying that.”

“What the hell is it then?”

Instead of blurting out that I was getting married, I simply closed my eyes tightly shut and extended my left hand, showcasing my ring. Mama notices everything, I thought she would have seen this by now.

“OH MY GOD.” I felt a tug on my hand. I opened my eyes to see it was Desiree. She just stared at it for a while . Then she got up off the stool and started screaming----loudly.

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Yassssssssssss! Fran you’re getting married!!! Yassssssss.”

She grabbed me and started jumping up and down, then she grabbed harper off the stool and we all started parading all over my kitchen. Until….of course my mother spoke.

“How can you be getting married Fran?” She stood up looking at me directly in the eyes, She always knew how to tear me apart like that. Those eyes.

I stood up straight and fixed my clothes, while Desiree sucked her teeth in the background. “Ma--- He just proposed and I accepted.”