64. Truth Within

sixty four.

Marina.

Caspian thought it would be best for us to wait above land until help arrived. I wanted to protest against that decision, but I couldn't think of a better idea. We needed to be able to watch Lucinda's laboratory from far and the only place I could think of was heading to the city. I've never been here and I had no idea how to even navigate the area. Most of the surrounding skyscrapers were in ruins, or at least half the glass windows were blown out.

We managed to hole up in a school building that had a perfect view of Lucinda's island. That way I could try to intercept Hades and Eryn when they showed up. A part of me had hoped that Lee and Emery found a way out on their own, but with the way I'd last seen Emery, deep inside I knew that wasn't going to happen.

I could see how Emery and Lee were Eryn's brothers. Emery was self sacrificing and his need to protect everyone made me miss Eryn. Lee energetic presence was refreshing, even if his restraint was a bit shaky. I really hoped I saw them again.

"How's your legs?" I asked Caspian. I wanted nothing more than to stop myself from spiraling into my worries. I rummaged through whatever food was left in the cafeteria. I felt bad about taking food, but everyone was long gone—or worse. I took a protein bar from the glassless vending machine and a couple of waters that were haphazardly thrown in a box beside the machine. It wasn't the best, but it would suffice for now. Plus, I didn't want to take my chances with whatever food the school had. I heard some horror stories from Ally when we were kids.

Caspian looked down and bent his knees slightly. "They're a bit sore, but the water helped me back into mobility at least."

"Good, we're going to need you at your best," I replied, handing him two bars and keeping one for myself.

"About that... " Caspian took the bars and scratched the back of his head, "I don't have any of my aquatic abilities... I mean you saw how the orb rejected me."

"How did you lose them?"

"My cousin is the sole ruler of Consania. I'm not pure of heart."

"And where is she?"

"They separated her from us in the beginning. There was this freshly turned vampire that Lucinda has a fast liking to. I think her name was Mary or something like that. She didn't seem like she had all her scruples together. I'm worried for Waverly, I haven't seen her since."

"If we managed to get out, I'm sure she did too." The second the words left my mouth I wasn't quite sure I believed it. The only way we got out was sacrificing the ones that saved us. There wasn't any other way we could've gotten out of that situation.

"Do you think your kingdom is going to help you?" Caspian asked, wrapping the protein bar and taking a bite out of it. He grimaced slightly as he chewed, and wiped his lap that became full of crumbs upon opening the protein bar.

I turned the water bottle cap and took a sip before speaking. "I hope so. He'll be here in two to three days. Swimming across the country is going to be tiresome for them."

"We don't have that kind of time."

I wanted to tell him that that the vampires would come and we could use that as an opportunity to throw off Lucinda's sick business, but even I knew that was a waste. He had no faith in Hades and Eryn. I could understand that.

If you want something done, you'd have to do it yourself.

"Maybe we don't have to wait," I stood up and brushed the back of my borrowed pants.