46. Erosion

SR: Joji - Rain on Me

Forty Six.

Marina.

Eryn was up before me, which wasn't unusual, but to see her dressed as if she was going out on a mission utterly confused me.

"I didn't know you were going out today," I commented, my gaze sweeping over her slender figure. She slid on grey canvas jacket, the first 'bright' color I'd seen her in a while.

"I have to pick up blood. I forgot to yesterday. Would you like to come with me?" Eryn asked, securing a beanie atop her head and tying her hair into a low bun. "Then we could go back home. I don't want to spend a minute longer here."

Home. That sounded nice. After yesterday, it would be nice to just be home and relax a little. "Alright. I'll get dressed."

Eryn nodded and shrugged on a canvas jacket. She didn't look at me and she grabbed her keys. "I'll be

downstairs."

I lifted my brow. Eryn seemed to be lost in her own world as she opened the door and left, not waiting for my response. Was she okay?

I frowned. I didn't want her to take those flipping pills anymore. Her mood already changed drastically. We were going to the blood bank today and maybe that would be fine. She didn't seem as if she was out of control... just out of it.

I quickly threw on a knee-length plum velvet dress. It would be chilly this morning. I glanced at the clothes I brought from the loft. There had to be tights around here somewhere.

Rummaging through my duffel bag, I yanked out fluffy grey cotton stockings. I shoved my legs into them and fixed my dress over it and straightened the fabric. I hurried and grabbed a fluffy fleece sweater, sliding my arms through the sleeves.

I hesitated on grabbing my Consul ID. There was something invigorating about being a part of something bigger than myself—that didn't operate like some sort of hive mind. There was no need for IDs in Aqueria, and I only needed one form in order to enroll at the nearby university.

Dad was good like that and could procure documents for any of his people when we were topside. Having a Consul ID made me feel as if I belonged to something. I missed going to class, and the Consul's classes were much more than I could ever hope for.

I planned to track down Hades, knowing that she was teaching in one of the Consul wings. I wasn't done getting my information from her.

As I descended the stairs, I spotted Chris and Eryn talking. Tension rolled off her shoulders as she spoke. He glared at her, shaking his head. They exchanged another plethora of words, ones that made Eryn cast her head down, a forlorn expression in her cloudy eyes.

I approached them carefully, and brushed my hand against Eryn's fingertips.

"Is everything okay?"

Eryn flinched and gazed down at me.

"Yeah, I was just asking Chris something. Are you ready to go?" She pulled out her car keys from her pocket and pressed the button, already ready to make our way outside.

I coasted my stare toward Chris, wondering what he said that made her so upset. He glanced at Eryn and then settled his wise knowing gaze on me. Again, I had missed a vital piece of information, something I was beginning to realize the vampires did often.

"She's a bit on edge today. Make sure you two take it easy."

Instantly, my face reddened and I darted to Eryn's side, ignoring the heat of Chris' gaze on us.