71. Space

Seventy One.

Eryn.

"Was this what you pictured?" Lucinda asked, a grin spread on her face she leapt backward and nearly missed Hades' fireball. She stood a couple of feet away from a body on the ground.

Sagan crouched beside the body, letting her open veins freely flood into her mouth.

"This couldn't be what you wanted!" Hades shouted at Sagan, a hoarseness in her tone that could only mean one thing.

I created distance between Hades and I, bracing myself for the heat unleashed. A roar of cool fire rose past me and I winced as the heat penetrated through the soles of my shoes.

Lucinda slid under the steady stream of flames. She leaped off the roof to a lower building. The foundation caved in and soon enough she was falling into the pits of the debris.

Faster than a jet, she bounced off each falling platform and onto another rooftop.

Sagan scooped up Nerissa's remains in her arms and motioned to follow Luce, but I darted in between her only escape.

"Sagan... fuck, this isn't like you! Let her go, don't you see what you're doing to Hadlee!?" I stared into the eyes of a woman who I'd known for years. All her expressions, the sounds of her laugh rang in my ear hours after I'd seen her.

Seeing the anger, the bitterness in her eyes sent stabs of pain in my chest. What could've pushed her to be this way?

Lucinda, what kind of hold you have on her?

"This has always been like me, you just never cared to pay attention," Sagan set Neri's burnt form onto the ground and widened her stance in front of me.

"Do you think you can really take me?" I hissed, not bothering to waste any time darting forward. For whatever reason Sagan was no longer on our side and I'll be damned if I'd let Lucinda do another horrid thing to Nerissa.

"We'll let's see, shall we?" Sagan shot for like an arrow with a purpose. Her clawed hand reached for my throat, but I bent my back and twisted to the side.

I slid on the asphalt and stood in front of Neri's body. Slowly but surely, her gnarled elbows and curved knees began the heal, new skin replacing the charred skin before it. But what would she heal into?

Against my greater urge, I strengthened my stance and had my back against her.

Sagan whirled around fire brimming in her eyes. She attacked again, this time putting more strength into her fist. It connected with my gut and I clenched my teeth.

My nails latched into her wrist and I yanked her forward, sliding my arm around her side and piercing where I assumed her lung had to be.

Her scream penetrated my ears only for it to be cut off as blood poured through my fingers.

"Why do you care so much Eryn?"

"Why don't you care enough?" I countered, tightening my grip around her hair. She twisted in my grip, only to scream in agony again.

"You don't get it!" Sagan hissed, "Lucinda's trying to save us all. Hadlee wouldn't get it."

The mention of Hadlee's name made my head dart over to Luce and Hadlee.

"Wrong move!" Sagan's claw shredded into my gut.

Heat trickled over my body. I glanced down, watching in horror as my skin did nothing to regenerate. She pulled her hand back and impaled me once again.