48. Get to me

SR: Billie Eilish - Bad Guy

Forty Eight.

Eryn.

I parked outside the compound, patiently waiting for Marina to come out. I pulled the seat back and stretched, letting the satisfaction of my body moving wash over me. Marina said she needed to go out for a swim, but she had to settle for the pool. It was too dangerous for her to be roaming in any bodies of water for now.

She said she was on her way out—twenty minutes ago.

I was having a hard time discerning whether or not Marina was taking too long.

I turned my phone on and sent her a quick text.

I waited twenty more minutes, but impatience took over. I got up and locked the truck. I sped by the lobby, tipping my head at one of the guards. I didn't bother swiping my card in, and I hoped he was understanding.

Luckily, the pool was near the entrance and I was there in seconds. It was empty, as to be expected. I didn't hear anyone, not even Marina's usually quickened pulse.

I walked down into the locker room and peered in. I already knew no one was in here, the absence of Marina's pulse sent another pang of dread through me. Don't panic yet, maybe she walked off.

Don't lose it.

I approached her locker and cursed silently.

Her locker was open, clothes spilling out. Her bag was on a bench, along with her sneakers. Immediately, I whipped out my phone and dialed Chris.

"Are you in the compound?" I asked, grabbing her sneakers and shoving it in her bag. I zipped it up and shut her locker door, making my way back to the main lobby.

"No, I'm with Ami and Denali. We're looking at new houses. Lance should be there, try him," Chris replied, the background noise of Ami's laugh sounding behind him. I could hear their hushed voices, wondering why I was asking for Marina.

"Okay, well if you find out anything call me."

"Is there something I should be worried about?" Chris asked, "I could leave and help you find her."

"Not this again," Denali's voice carried through the receiver.

"I heard that Den. And no, I don't want to make anyone worry yet. Can you dial Hades for me? I missed her call earlier." I was blatantly lying, knowing that I purposely rejected the call earlier. I didn't want to deal with Hades at this time, but it was for Marina.

"I'll do that."

I hung up and immediately dialed Lance. He took a bit to pick up and when he did, I sighed in relief. "Is Marina with you?"

I did my best to ignore the turmoil savagely snaking its way through my stomach and up my chest. I took a deep breath, gritting my teeth against the tightness.

"No, she was with Hades earlier, but she went to the pool," Lance said. He paused for a moment. "Is everything okay?"

Marina was with Hades?

Maybe I should've answered that call.

"I can't find her. I texted her. She isn't in the pool. Her stuff was there at the locker, so she did come here, but there's no trace of her," I said, my throat catching on the last word. Saying it out loud made it real. Marina was missing.

I could feel the impending panic attack crawling its way to my throat. I tried stifling the sharp feeling that bubbled up. It was like a virus, spreading from my legs to my arms, forming tingling sensations in my extremities.