62. Revelry in the Dark

SR: Bring Me the Horizon - Parasite Eve

sixty-two.

Hades.

Deeds, alcohol purchases, property forms...

I sifted through Mara's files, trying to find any information on Lucinda. I slammed my hands on the table after finding nothing but forms for the nightclub. From the moment I entered the room, my connection to Eryn's mind was completely severed. I couldn't use her for help. No doubt that Mara had something installed to hinder my mental abilities.

I drummed my fingertips on the desk, straining my sense of hearing to see if Eryn was okay. When I didn't hear anything, I pressed my lips together and yanked back a locked drawer, not caring if anyone heard me. I wasn't a stealthy person.

The drawer was piled high with files of manila folders stuffed inside. Among the boring color, one folder stood out from the rest. I yanked it out, wondering why it was the thickest among them. This had to be something. I opened it and sifted through the papers, my heart hammering in my chest as a familiar face looked back at me. There had to be hundreds of pictures in here. I looked at each photo, memorizing each face.

I took the photo with Nerissa's face and shoved it deep in my pocket.

"They're all mermaids," I whispered to myself. I pulled out a paper and read the contents. With each photo, there was a corresponding number that matched the number on the back of the photo. I tried to make sense of it all. What was going on here?

I read the paper, noticing that Mara was recording their blood types. A list of dates was next to their numbers.

They're trafficking mermaids.

I frowned at Nerissa's photo. Why did she have a photo if she was turned? It was recent enough, red eyes staring back at me. I don't think I'd ever get used to that.

I shoved around various office supplies inside the drawer. There had to be more than just this.

Something shimmered between all the clutter; something I hadn't seen in years. I looked around for something to grab it with, shaking my head when I grabbed a piece of paper. I cupped the shard and pulled it out, biting down on my lip as it burned through the paper.

My demonic energy was enough to awaken the shard, the blue light distorting and turning crimson. I hissed in pain and let it go. The seraphic shard clattered to the desk unceremoniously. Why did Mara have an angel shard?

How could she even bring it in here? Angelic shards could only be touched by divine beings. This had to be what was stopping my abilities.

I had to take this away from them. I looked down at my shirt. Groaning inwardly, I took it off and used it to wrap the shard tightly. This would have to be good enough for now.

With a bounce in my step, I whirled around and opened the door, nearly crashing into Eryn. "Are you okay?" Red eyes flashed at me, the veins under Eryn's eyes pulsing.

A petite woman stood next to her, shaking like a leaf. Her scent confirmed my suspicions. "Who is she?"

"Her names Waverly. I think she's the princess of the New York kingdom," Eryn explained. She rubbed the back of her neck as she stared at the mermaid. "I took down Mara, we have the information we need. Why is your shirt off?" She looked as if she was trying to hold herself back from pouncing on the poor mermaid.

I narrowed my eyes. "Mara has an angel blade and they're trading mermaids."

"An angel blade? Why?" She inspected the blade, careful not to touch it. The pain was unbearable even for me, I didn't want to imagine how'd she feel, especially with Velsyren now around.