8. Falling into You

Song Recommendation: Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day

Eight.

Marina.

The next morning, I was up early, packing my bag for the day. My mind kept wandering to Ally and how she was doing. I replayed Eryn's words in my head. It could take days before she actually woke up.

Eryn was right. I was better off going along with my day as if everything was okay. I had an early class and after I agreed to meet up with Neri's ex-boyfriend. I didn't know if he knew the truth about Neri, and I wish Eryn agreed to go with me.

I didn't think Neri's ex was a bad guy, but then again, I seemed to have a habit of getting into situations I couldn't get out of. I had no idea who killed my sister in the first place and I hope Chester had a least some idea what happened to her.

After my first class had ended, I was the first one out of the room and already making my way toward the other side of the campus. I had three hours to kill before Chester agreed to meet up at a coffee shop three blocks down from my dorm.

I debated on sending Syd a text to see if she was willing to meet up with me, but I decided it was better to give her a day to recuperate. I already put Sydney through enough action for one night.

I rounded the corner of a building and suddenly cold hands were on my arm. A hand clamped over my mouth and something solid appeared in front of me.

My eyes widened as Eryn's brilliant icy eyes penetrated mine.

"Look how exposed you are," Eryn's lips moved slowly as she searched my face.

I blushed and looked down at my clothing. I was wearing regular jeans and a jacket; I didn't think I was exposed.

"I'm not talking about your clothes; I'm talking about how you're not paying attention to where you're going. You look like you're lost, easy prey for anyone wanting to hurt you," Eryn snorted and let me go, easily falling into step beside me.

I glanced at her and half-smiled. "You came."

"Only because I knew you'd get hurt, or something." She frowned and looked away, staring at a car passing by. She shoved her hands into her pocket as she walked.

I took in Eryn's appearance. Sunglasses hung from the white-collar under her black knit sweater. She was dressed in dark skinny jeans and converse sneakers. She didn't look anywhere as a mess as she did yesterday.

"How's Ally?" I asked.

"She's sound asleep on my bed. She's not out of the woods just yet, but I'm sure she's going to be fine in a couple of days," Eryn responded.

We passed a tall building and the sunlight came into view. I was grateful for the blanket of warmth that enveloped me. These days were only going to get colder.

Eryn slid on her sunglasses immediately.

"How are you doing?" I asked, replaying the scene of Arlo forcing his blood into Eryn's mouth. She was adamant about letting it fall into her mouth for a reason, but she seemed to be doing okay so far.

"Decent."

I stepped onto the curb, crossing the street. Eryn's arm darted out and she pulled me back just as a car zipped by. It ate the red light and continued going, not caring that it was mere inches from my body.

"Thank you."

"I'm beginning to realize you're accident-prone," Eryn mused, a small smirk hidden on her face.