52. Soul Cavities

SR: Lord Huron - She Lit a Fire

Fifty Two.

Marina

My chest tightened, and with each breath, the room grew smaller.

Nerissa didn't hesitate and slid into my arms. She hugged me, and even placed her head on top of my head just like we did when we were kids. The void in my heart, a sense of fulfillment washed over me. It didn't fit quite right, but it was still back nonetheless.

"Where've you been?"

I pictured this moment almost a million times in my head, if not more. I always knew I'd cry and have an overwhelming sense of happiness, but when I saw Nerissa, all I could do is blanch at her like a fish out of water.

Nerissa pulled away from me and stared at me, a loving smile set on her face. She looked a bit unnerving, with her scarlet eyes, but I didn't care, her being here was just enough.

All these years everyone told me to get over it, that it was all in my head. It insanity came with the loss of a sibling, they'd say. Seeing Nerissa here and now, I knew that none of what others said was true.

She moved her lips slowly as if she was hesitant to speak. "I've been with Lucinda. She's forced me to stay with her."

"She turned you?" Hadlee asked, an accusatory tone in her voice. I narrowed my eyes at her for a brief moment. Why was she treating Nerissa as if she was the enemy?

Nerissa nodded quickly. "Yes, I've been with Lucinda." She repeated. She still smiled, but her eyes were as sharp and piercing as ever.

I arched my brow. Hades walked closer to me and placed her hand on the small of my back.

"I'd be a bit wary," she replied, leaning in close to my ear, "I don't think this is the Nerissa you're familiar with."

I held my breath, studying Nerissa over again. There were some minor differences since I last saw her. It only made sense though, it had been about three years. It was only natural that she looked different, or acted... different.

I took in her appearance. Her clothes hung on her too loosely, as if she had gone down a couple of sizes since I last saw her. I frowned. It was mainly her eyes that ensnared me. Was she forever going to be like this? Would she want to... drink my blood?

Has she drunk mer blood yet?

I mentally shook my head. It was wrong to not have faith in Neri. She was my flesh and blood; how could I ever doubt her?

I knew as I thought that I was lying to myself.

My hand brushed over my neck.

"Lucinda is fleeing to New York," Her words held nothing in them, just empty pockets of air floating. Her gaze ping-ponged between Hades and I, "She's giving you an ultimatum. If you come with me, she'll spare my life, but if you don't, she'll kill me before she leaves."

My lips parted.

"How could she kill you? You're right here!" I shook my head vehemently, grabbing her wrist and pulling her into my arms again. "You're going to stay here with me." I squeezed her before pulling away and turning to Hadlee. "Why aren't you saying anything!?"

Tears streamed freely down my cheeks as I glared at Hadlee. She knew about this... there was no shock written on her face, only despair. How long did she know?