12.Imperfection at best; remorse at worst

SR: City & Colour - Little Hell

Twelve.

Eryn.

Marina wasn't in bed with me when I woke up. She wasn't at breakfast either. I sat there all morning, feeling the blood revitalizing me. A wave of guilt washed over me every time I felt how refreshed I was. I got so caught up in the moment, so turned on. I was sleeping one moment, thinking about touching Marina, and... I lost it, all sense of control gone.

I was an idiot to think I could trust myself to be asleep around her. The idea of biting her while she came was too enticing to ignore. I was weak.

I finally gave up on searching where she was, especially since I noticed that Lance wasn't around either. I assumed they'd gone out to run some errands. It was the only thing that settled me.

Sagan was out on the grounds with Amelia and Denali. A ball was being tossed in the air and I could hear Amelia's shrill giggle. Perhaps, they wanted some company.

It would take my mind off Marina for a bit. I knew as soon as the withdrawals came in, I would need to lock myself away. I knew that Lance and Chris would find her friends for me, even if I wasn't there.

I thought about the possibility of being able to feed on the source without losing control, but I lived enough on this earth and lost enough people to know it wasn't possible for me.

"Ryn!" Amelia called, setting the volleyball and having it barrel to me. The force of Amelia's strength would usually leave me stumbling back a bit, but I caught it easily in my hands, my feet rooted to the ground. It's been a while that my age reflected my power. I almost forgot what it was like to be at full power.

"How this?" I asked, throwing the ball above my head. Sagan braced herself a bit, usually strong enough to bump my serves. I knew that this time around Sagan wouldn't be able to catch it at all.

I slammed my hand against the ball with enough strength to send it barreling toward her, but without popping. I watched it fly and head straight towards Sagan.

She held her hands outward, propping herself to set it, but the ball was going too fast, too hard. The ball collided with her chest and she fell a couple of feet backward, skidding on the grass.

"Whoa," Denali muttered, turning to me, "that was killer."

Amelia ran to Sagan, helping her up. I approached them, wishing I curbed my strength a bit. I let myself get too carried away.

"Sagan, shit. Are you okay?"

A small smirk played on the corners of her mouth.

"I see the saint has fallen," Her sharp eyes met mine.

I tore my gaze away, taking a step backward.

"It wasn't like that."

"Why wouldn't it be like that? This morning she looked like she was never going to come back," she snickered, "but it's okay, we have you back now."

I shook my head. Marina wouldn't leave like that. Who was going to protect her from the vampires that wanted to hurt her?

"You are the vampire that hurt her," Sagan cackled, shaking her head. "I wouldn't blame you; her scent is positively delicious. I was deciding if I was going to feed on her yesterday. She was so close to me when we washed dishes."

I didn't realize I said that aloud.

"Don't you even dare."

She knew better than to do that.