Chapter 25

Just hit 50K words this morning... Wow... That's all I gotta say :P
____________________________________________________

      And of course I ran straight into the battle. What else did you expect me to do? It sure took Alex by surprise because he automatically began to run with me. It was an instant before we were separated and we fought on our own.

            I had no weapons of any sort. No guns, knives or anything else like that. All I had were my powers, which I had to admit was a pretty good deal.         

            I was in a sort of haze as I fought and somewhere in between I picked up a knife and began to slash. It took a while but I soon had a pile of bodies behind me, either with a few marks from the knife, a few burns, or a bent-in head. Yeah, telekinesis came in handy sometimes.

            "Kiera!" a voice called out. My head immediately shot to the voice as if I was just running on auto. There, about a half a dozen guys surrounded a very weaponless Kade. Then the red around my eyes disappeared and I was able to concentrate.

            Here I was, fighting blind less, while I could've been helping other people. But which one was better?

            But I didn't have time to focus on that. Instead I ran to Kade's aid, using little force to push the first two away. The other three, I just used the knife and my fire.

            And then it was finished and I had a pile of bodies surrounding me. I had to admit, on the inside I felt a bit bad-sick, even- but I knew I did what I had to do to save Kade.

            "Man, you're like a machine," Kade muttered, eyes wide as he sat on the ground and stared at the bodies.

            "Gee, thanks," I said sarcastically, only half focused on him. "Uh, there were six of them, right?" I asked, uncertain of where the other could've been.

            "…Um…"

            And then there was a rush of wind, so fast that I barely caught where it was going.

            I saw a flash of hair and mud and then it crashed into the ground, one person on top of another.

            But when the person stood up, the one on the bottom simply laying still, I saw it was Travis. The funny thing was, I barely recognized him, even though I only saw him about a half an hour ago.

            Mud streaks covered his faces and bear arms. Multiple scrapes decorated his arms and all his clothing was dirty and ripped.

            "Saved you again, princess," Travis cracked me a grin, and then he looked like the guy I met at the school. I couldn't help but smile back.

            "Yeah, we'd better stop making habit of that, eh?" We laughed at that until I saw Kade give me a look of disbelief.

            "Uh, guys, you mind giving me a hand? We are sorta in the middle of battle, here."

            Travis whined a bit. "Yeah, but we've been at this for hours, give me a second to just chill." Without looking at him, you'd never think that was a soldiers complaint, but it was. It almost saddened me to admit but Travis was a soldier. Gosh, he even looked like one, let alone acted like one. I shouldn't have felt so bad but he could die today and I was the one who'd gotten the high school boy into this mess. And now there was no way I could get him out of it. I doubted he wanted to leave, either.