Chapter 23

Did you know I wrote about 3500 words today? Finished two chapters! I also had lobster for the first time... random facts... Hope you like this chapter, it's long! :P
______________________________________________________

            "Hey, over here!" I heard someone call out, but I was too tired to lift my head.

            The sun had long since gone down and I'd given up on anyone finding us. Gabe had stayed unconscious but Travis had woken up a few hours ago, sitting here with me.

            I don't know how we'd gotten here, or why we were so energy drained. Around us was nothing but a clearing, but far off in the distance I saw a mountain. Trees bordered it but I couldn't see any sign of civilization, let alone where the sound had come from. To be honest, I had no clue where we were and it terrified me.

            "Chris, I'm serious, there're people out here!" And there it was again! Were they really here, or was I just going insane? Maybe I was having a mirage like those people in the desert…

            And then they were here, suddenly picking me up against my will. For a second I thought they were kidnapping us so I struggled but the one holding me spoke quickly in my ear.

            "Hey, hey, chill. We're just getting you out of here and into safety, princess." The male's quiet voice whispered in my ear and calmed me down. I wanted to ask him if we were in the kingdom but my throat was so parched, I couldn't manage a whisper. So much for being the great rescuer. I couldn't even help myself. Since I couldn't do much other than lay there in his arms, I closed my eyes and within seconds, I was out.

*     *     *

            "Okay, you can just put her there… and no, put those two on the bed. Yep, right there." A voice woke me up. I made an attempt to get up but there was a cloth covering my mouth and nose. I also couldn't see a thing, which was a bit of a disability for me. The smell of this room was horrible- a mix of rotting meat and hospital… weirdness- and I was just about gagging.

            But I recognized the voice. Luke was here, so at least I didn’t have to worry so much. Well,  I did go to Gabe without his permission, so I suppose I should worry.

            "Yeah, you probably should," a voice suddenly hissed in my ear. Immediately I shot up and the cloth fell from my face. My head whirled around blindly for a second before it landed on Alex's hysterical face. Then I laughed.         

            "Kiera!" That sobered me just a bit. Instead of saying anything, I hit Alex on the shoulder. Then I turned to Luke.

            I was expecting him to be mad. Yeah, there was a bit of anger in his thoughts and expressions, but there was mostly relief. With a good look at him, I saw Luke. I mean, really  saw him. 

            His face was as white as sheet, deadly still as well. Even the brightness of his eyes was gone, like it'd lost that spark that made Luke… Luke.

            "How long have I been gone" I questioned. It hadn't felt like that long but with the way everyone looked, and the fact that we were in a room I didn't even know existed, I'd say I was a little off on my calculations.

            With a grim smile, Luke came over to sit on my bed but I wasn't having any of it. Instead I just stood up, much to the surprise and shock of everyone in the room. I just glared at Luke when he came to push me back down.

            "Luke, I'm fine-" I started but he interrupted me, a furious look on his face.

            "No, you aren't!" he boomed, veins popping out of his neck. They were pretty easy to see 'cause his skin was so thin and translucent. "When these guys got you out of the clearing, you, Travis and Gabe were stocked up with carbon dioxide. I'm surprised you guys even survived. Gosh, I don't even know how you managed to out of there, and with Gabe is a different story. It's honestly a miracle."