Chapter 24

We're really getting down there... AND BEFORE YOU READ THIS, PLEASE CHECK OUT THE QUESTION/SURVEY THINGY BEFORE THIS CHAP!! I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!
(I love caps lock)
Enjoy! :P
_______________________________________________________

"Sir, I need you to stay here-"

            "Yeah, sorry, but that won't be happening."

            I stayed frozen once the guard said. For a second I had no clue what he meant when he said, "It's time," but then it came to me. How could the battle be happening now? I mean, I suppose it was a good plan, attacking while our defenses were down, but it sure wasn't good for us.

            "Look-" Gabe started again, but I spoke up.

            "No, Gabe, you can't come. It's too dangerous." It almost broke my heart but I had to get it out there. It would only take one shot, a blade in the right place, for him to be down. Plus since he was only human, the healer's couldn’t help him.

            Gabe's distraught look only worsen my mood. "But-"         

            "No, I'm sorry… the healers wouldn't be able to help you if you got hurt. I can't have that."

            Thankfully Gabe didn't protest anymore so I gave him a small smile, as much as I could manage.        

            "Princess-" the guard began but I held up my hand and he stopped. Sometimes, as much as I hated the title, it was a great advantage.

            "Look, from now on, it is Kiera. I don't wanna hear any 'princess', and you tell everyone that."

            It took a second for that to process through his mind, but he nodded slowly. It was probably going against everything in his body but he did nod.

            Instead of saying anything else, he held open the door. "Shall we go, then, Kiera?" And then I cracked a smile. I couldn't turn back to Gabe without breaking down so I just nodded and walked off, not sparing a glance.

            "Don't worry, your uncle will be guarded at all times. He'll be safe," the guard, whose name I really had to learn, spoke up as we walked through the hallway. I assumed we were going to the courtyard, considering the halls were dead empty.

            Once we were about halfway to the courtyard, there was a massive rumble and the ground shook, reminding me of an earthquake. Did they even have earthquakes here?

            There were more shakes here and there immediately following it but less severe until there was another one that threw me to the ground.

            "C'mon!" The guard pulled me to my feet and we ran. "They're starting to fire, it won't be long until they make their way through the barriers."

            So I followed him. Every corridor we went through, there was at least one or two gaping holes on the wall. Looking out, I saw fires had sprung up randomly in the town. Thankfully it was empty… or so I hoped.

            As we ran, more and more people-citizens- were in the castle. Men, women and children by the dozens, hundreds, even. There were a few guards here and there helping them but I would've stayed if I could. It broke my heart that I couldn't but I had a job to do. Even though I didn't know what that job was.

            Finally we made it into the courtyard and I stopped suddenly, stunned by the sight in front of me.

            Row and rows of men stood alert and at attention, Kade and Luke in front of them. Each soldier was clearly dressed for battle with a dark blue uniform on and serious expressions were placed on each face.