Chapter 16

Hey guys! Hope you like..
OH... AND #656 IN ACTION AND #843 IN FANTASY, OH YEAH!!!!!! ANNNNNNND I GOT 100% ON MY MATH TEST SO ITS AN AWWWWWWWEEEEESOOOOMMMMMEEE DAY!!! :P

Also, if you can only get a part of this chapter, please tell me in the comments! Wattpad is probably messed up again... :(
_________________________________________________

I’d like to say I was completely prepared for the attack.

 Huh, yeah, right. Instead, I was chilling in my room, thinking on what Luke had just told me. Then the warning bell rang and I sprung out of bed, surprised.

 We’d had the bell installed after the last attack. We hadn’t had a chance to use it… until now, apparently.

 Rushing out into the hall, I was swarmed by a crowd of people, running back and forth past me. Some were guards, but most were soldiers. I guess I was taken as surprise just as much as they were.

 Ignoring the people, I instead tried to get through them and go to the courtyard where hopefully the men were getting ready.

 But it was too late for that. People-both my men and Jared’s- were on the battlefield. I couldn’t see any civilians but maybe that was a good thing. Fortunately, we had more men than the opposing force for now, at least. I shuddered to think of what would happen if we ran out of men.

 “Kiera!” I heard someone shout my name. Turning, I saw Luke run up to me, still in the clothes I had last seen him in.

 “Kiera,” he breathed out, looking at me. “These aren’t all of Jared’s men. This is only a fraction.”

 “Wait, so this isn’t the whole battle?” Luke shook his head.

 “No. My guess is they’re trying to whittle our numbers down until the time when the whole army comes. By then they’ll be nothing left of us and we’ll be forced to surrender.”

 I gulped, taking another glance at the battle. We were doing pretty good- awesome, if I do say so myself- but there were about a dozen bodies littered around. If this was only what would happen with part of Jared’s army…. Well, there was no way we could fight back. Not for long, at least.

 “Okay,” I said, going into battle mode. “We didn’t have time to get all the men prepared so we’ll just do the same. You ready?”

Luke nodded grimly, making an attempt to smile. And then together we charged into the battle.

 *     *     *

 I couldn’t tell you about the attack after it was over. I was like a machine, fighting, slashing and killing my way through the army.

 Unfortunately, though, even I didn’t know how long that could hold out. And with no structured plan for my men, they were just doing the same: doing whatever it took to stay alive and protect the kingdom.

 But what surprised me the most was Kade. He was like a machine, as well, yelling out commands and fighting as if he were born to be a General. It was amazing. If we did get out of this attack alive, I sure knew who was taking my spot.

 Finally, after what seemed like hours of relentless combat and bloodshed, we reached an end. Picking up a sword that lay scattered from a dead body, I swung at the last of Jared’s men. It hit home and I didn’t bother to watch the head hit the ground.

 I dropped the sword as I walked away, but my body was still filled with adrenaline. Fighting the urge to continue fighting, even though I doubted there was nothing left, I ran back to the courtyard.