Chapter 12

Sorry it took so long..... but I'm happy 'cause I got the first 3 books in the Heros fo Olympus series and I'm happy... Oh, and hope you like!
_________________________________________________________

I was snapped out of my trance by a laugh to my right, and then the unknown man cracked a grin and busted out laughing as well. So I was with two guys laughing for no reason at all… Great. I don’t know if this is a good thing or not.

"Um…” I trailed off. By now, Cap’ had started walking over to the freaky killer guy and was… shaking his hand?

I watched as they both smiled and did some version of a man-hug while I was just left in utter befuddlement.

“Kade,” said Cap’ with a grin.

“Mar- Cap’…” ‘Kade’ replied with a smirk. He almost dropped Cap’s name but of course he stopped himself.

“Um, guys?” They snapped their heads in my direction. “Mind telling me, oh, I don’t know, why the heck there’s a freaky killer and you’re shaking his hand?” And of course since there wasn’t a straight response, they just laughed. And here I was thinking that men were always so serious. Guess I should’ve learned that lesson with Luke.

“Kiera,” Cap’ chuckled, walking over to me. “This is my friend I was telling you about earlier, the one you’ll be staying with while you’re here.”

“You didn’t tell me he was some freaky mass-murderer!” I hissed at him, causing yet another burst of laughter. “Shut up!”

“I’m not a mass murderer, sweetheart. I’m just plain old me.” Kade reached his hand out. First mistake.

Smiling lightly, I also reached out, but instead of shaking his hand like a normal person would, I slapped him in the face, leaving a shocked expression.

I kept up my candy sweet smile as I said, “Don’t call me sweetheart.” He just smiled; a genuine, non-jerkish smile. Maybe this wouldn’t be too bad…

*     *     *

“Okay, and you like fighting? Sexy…” Kade smirked at me again as we walked down the forest trail. I just rolled my eyebrows, now used to his constant remarks and chatter.

“Uh huh, and I also roll around naked in money, how’s that for sexy?” I deadpanned, glancing at him for a second before continuing my walk to wherever.

“Wow, hun. You sure do bring sexy to a whole new level.”

We both laughed at that before a question arose in my mind. By now we were about thirty minutes away from ‘civilisation’, heading into the forest. Why, though, I didn’t know.

"Um, question…” We slowed down our walk. Kade looked at me, his black hair shimmering against the sun that glistened down on us.

“Uh, how did you guys get here?” I asked. “I mean, my kingdom has this whole backstory and stuff… what about you guys? There’s gotta be something.”

Scratching the back of his neck, Kade paused for a second and I couldn’t help but look into his mind. Just a quick glance, though. Anything else would be bad…

But when I did take a peek, all I could see were black, swirling lines of what looked like smoke, and anything that could be heard were screams. Raw, horrifying screams that made me want to run away.

So I pulled out, trying to comprehend what the heck just happened. What had happened to Kade? While I was in his head, I couldn’t grasp a single thing that I could use and obviously he wasn’t about to tell me that horror story inside his head.