PLOT: Introducing backstory

1.) Only share details that shape the characters - backstory is one of those things that really irks readers when it's obviously necessary. Yes, you can argue that backstory contributes to the characters personality, but it's important to make the distinction between what's relevant to the character overall and he character during this specific moment. 

2.) Telling can be okay - clarity is important when it comes to backstory and when you're telling the reader information that was revealed in a moment prior to the current timeline, you want to be concise. Long-winded flashbacks full of irrelevant details are often irritating. Yes, there's a right way to do it but it takes lots of practice and re-working to get it right and flashbacks are frequently used by writers who would rather show the moment than cleverly work the information into a present situation and it's very easy to tell when this is the case. 

3.) Showing can be better - again things like flashbacks or scenes that are obviously reminiscent of past events are perfectly okay when it comes to providing information, but you must accept that it takes more work and time and snipping in order to make it concise and effective. 

4.) Its purpose is to create context - context is everything and when you introduce backstory it should reframe the current situation and conflict with new relevant information for the reader. There should be an "oh shit" moment when the reader connects the dots between two things that didn't quite make sense until they knew the context. That's the purpose and effect of backstory. As you can tell, this is a delicate and strategic device. 

5.) Weave sparingly - backstory should be placed strategically and very sparingly. You hound;t use backstory to explain everything , because that leaves no room for interpretation or for the reader to ask questions of the plot. Weave carefully, use sparingly.