LANGUAGE: Punctuation Pt. 1

There is a recurring issue that many writers seem to have when it comes to punctuation and capitalization in dialogue. 

When it's description of the way the character is speaking (she said, he exclaimed, she giggled etc.) and you aren't using an exclamation point or a question mark, then it's a comma inside the quotes, with a lowercase first-word following (as long as it's not a proper noun of course). 

If it's a description of an action the speaker is taking (she shook her fist, he waved dismissively, he stared at her angrily, he laughed), then the punctuation inside the quotes is a period and the following sentence should be capitalized (as demonstrated below).

"I don't believe it," she said. "Prove it to me." (CORRECT)

"I don't believe it." She said, "prove it to me." (INCORRECT)

"It's true." She shrugged. "You can ask anyone." (CORRECT)

"It's true," she shrugged, "you can ask anyone." (INCORRECT)

OR

"It's true," she said with a shrug, "you can ask anyone." (CORRECT)

"It's true." She said with a shrug, "you can ask anyone." (INCORRECT)

One last thing: ALL punctuation goes INSIDE the quotation marks:

"I love you!" he shouted. (CORRECT)

"I love you"! he shouted. (INCORRECT)

"I love you!", he shouted. (INCORRECT)