HOW TO: Interesting villains

- Give them relationships with other characters. Being a villain doesn't mean they're isolated. 

 - Give them their own set of morals.

 - Give them something to care about.

 - Consider the reasons why they want to hurt the protagonist.

 - Remember they are human.

 - Don't make them evil for the sake of being evil.

 - Keep in mind that a villain doesn't have to do every horrible thing imaginable.

 - Not every villain was abused. someone who was spoiled is just as, if not more, likely to lack empathy than someone who was abused. 

 - Consider how they rationalise their behaviour (blame their victims, make excuses, believe what they're doing is right) if you need a reference for this kind of behaviour look at how Trump defends the horrible things he does. 

 - Give them a life outside being a villain. maybe your protagonist is going shopping and they run into their villain and the villain snit interested or up for a fight that day. This really depends on the story though.

 - Give them a past, present or future relationship with the protagonist. Again this depends on the story.

 - Consider making your villain likeable.

 - Give the reader a reason to sympathise with them.