Chapter 28

WARNING: CHAPTERS 32 - 36 OF THIS BOOK CAN ONLY BE READ ON INKITT! LINK IN MY BIO ♥️
...

That super important meeting somehow wasn't so important when he turned up at my house. I didn't answer the door when he knocked twice, proceeding to watch him from the front window as he shouted my name on repeat to the top of the house like that would magically grab my attention.

Screw him.

Bloody screw him.

Yasmin is feeding Emily some sweet potato mash from her highchair. "Is he still out there?"

"Yes, he's sitting on the doorstep. It's raining too," I reply, pulling down the dishwasher door to get rid of the dirty dishes.

The way she's grinning at Emily is a total contrast to the words leaving her mouth. "Good. I hope he catches pneumonia."

"You don't mean that," I reply, halting when she frowns at me.

"Oh, I really do. Just watch me go out there and chuck a bucket of ice cold water over him," she says, softening her expression when it lands back on Emily.

I grab Emily her rice milk yoghurt when it seems she's still hungry after her mash meal. "I wish he'd just go away. It's making it really hard to ignore him when he lingers out there."

"Funny how he decides to give you the time of day now you're in the driving seat, huh? I have him sussed out." She dips the spoon into the yoghurt to sample it before feeding my daughter.

My finger points at the fridge. "I can go grab you one if you're hungry."

She gives Emily a quick kiss on the top of the head. "Oh, no, you're okay. I was just curious about the taste. It's pretty bland."

"Yeah, baby stuff usually is," I say on a giggle.

Yasmin nods like she agrees with me. "They have delicate little palettes, don't they, Emmy?"

"Baaaa," Emily says this very loudly.

"Yes, I know, baby. You tell them," she replies, feeding her more of the yoghurt.

'I'm bringing sexy back. (Yeah) Them other boys, don't know how to act. (Yeah)'

Yasmin moves the spoon to the side as her eyes search the room. It tickles me when Emily's mouth follows her every move. "That's my phone! Moll, can you go grab it? It's Matt."

"Sexy back is your ringtone for him?" That's brilliant.

She laughs. "Yes, I think it's in my coat pocket that's on the stair bannister."

It is, along with a bunch of receipts, lip gloss and chewing gum. The call ends just as all of these things fall out and onto the floor, but it starts up again with Matt's grinning face flashing back at me.

I pass her the phone to take over feeding duties. "Come here, baby, you want a little playtime before bed?"

Yasmin puts him on speakerphone. "Hey, babe."

"Yasmin, what's going on? Jamie is messaging me to say that Molly is refusing to let him in the house."

"Yes," she replies, glancing down at her nails. "We're teaching him a lesson."

Matt's sigh is heavy. "And, why are you teaching him a lesson?"

Her eyes flick over to me to ask for permission. I nod my head. "Where do we start?"

"I'm tired, so preferably I would prefer it if you started with what the hell is going on sweetheart," he replies.

Yasmin winces in my direction. "Sorry, I'll stop being so dramatic. Jamie cheated on Molly."